What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#66669 by Mark Bell
Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:19 am
We have a situation where we're fast tracking documentation for a multi-storey commercial project where I am working in the master file still designing the building and have staff working on various parts of the building for construction drawings.

In most instances, I simply update a layer with a new DLF replacing the original. What I would like to see is the ability for others not working in the master file to set up clipcubes and be able to export those clipcubes so they can be brought into another file, in this instance the master file.

As an example, a series of clipcubes for each level of a fire exit stair would be created, a Clipcube Name given, then the clipcube of say L1 stair plan could be placed onto a MSP. This would be repeated up the building so a sheet of clipcubes of the different floor levels of each set of stairs would be created. If anything changed in the design of the stairs, then the MSP details would automatically reflect these changes.

Presently, all that information is in other files worked on by staff. The project and master file uses smart entities for the whole building and as it changes through design/documentation updates, the various backgrounds change so the plans (3Dmodel) are always current. This is important to how the fast tracking of the documentation works. The 3D model is also the 2D plan drawings which are also the detail drawings. If something changes then all the relevant drawings update across the various MSP sheets. The wishlist is that those settings that define each clipcube and MSP can be exported and imported into another file so they would reference the same floor plans and when in MSP, they would recreate so the sheet(s) of all the stairs would be redisplayed in the master file. This method would apply to other similar situations and would allow staff to progress in also setting up drawing sheets with multiple MSP details referencing the same background information.

Being able to create, name and save multiple Clipcubes would be ideal. The above may be achieved by improving on the GTV feature or being able to export MSP sheets including the details and clipcube settings? I'd also like the readout display to show the current Clipcube Z-B/Z-H when the mouse if passed over the icons or better still, expand on the icons to actually show what the current settings are so this information is part of the readout and always displayed. The key is really being able to save and retrieve these settings in combination to a presaved MSP and GTV to rebuild sheets when transferring between drawing files. Maybe expand on the old LyrUtil macro :roll:

Further improvements would be to implement fenceline clipcubes allowing irregular clip definitions other than square or rectangular.
#66670 by Mark F. Madura
Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:41 am
Hello Mark,

The Layer Sets feature available from the Layer Manager allows you to include GoTo Views and Details (which also includes ClipCubes).

Perhaps this can get you closer to what you want to do?

MFM
#66671 by jimgoodman
Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:51 am
Mark:

You might also look at xrefs as a tool that might work. The advantage is that you don't have to worry about exporting and importing layers and keeping track of which layers are really the most current and the master file is always current for others working on the project.

James Goodman, AIA
Capistrano Beach, CA
#66672 by Roger D
Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:18 am
Another reason to use xref's is that you can use irregular xclips of any shape. You can draw a polyine and then select that polyline as you xclip boundary.
#66673 by joshhuggins
Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:45 am
Yeah this kind of shouts out for xrefs to be used I think. :D
#66674 by Mark Bell
Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:39 pm
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the reply comments.

1. Xrefs and self-xrefs have already been used extensively not only for the architectural backgrounds but also for the engineering overlays (structural, services etc.) and has also allowed a parallel master fitout file to be created for the interiors/FFE package so this works well. It's also worth noting we have staff outside our office working on the project so the working file(s) are not on our server for direct access.

2. Getting back to the original wishlist request, I'd sum it up as being able to export and import the MSP details and corresponding Clipcubes and GTV's used on the sheets. We'll give Lyrutil another shot as this is perhaps the closest to what would work best. Thanks for the comments.
#66675 by Roger D
Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:03 pm
File Import.png
File Import.png (9.28 KiB) Viewed 12472 times

Have you tried File/Import/aec? You can pick GTV, MSP, Sheets, and layers.
Drawing I selected did not have any GTV, MSP, Sheets, but would show up with check boxes when you have them.
#66676 by Mark Bell
Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:48 pm
Hello Roger,

No, didn't consider this. I think between re-looking at Layersets and what you have pointed out we can achieve what we're looking to do. Thanks.
#66678 by Roger D
Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:32 am
I used to use DCSprint/StikyBack macro, LyrUtil macro and/or LayerSets all the time, but now find using the File/Import/aec to be the easiest to maintain standard layer groups, details, etc and to add into current file the best for me.
#66681 by Henrique S. Badalotti
Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:26 pm
When we measure the rectangular areas of a project we click F7> S5> F1> F6> F1 and more a click to secure the project.
I created an icon to calculate the rectangular area simplifying the amount of clicks.
A = ^: ^ F7^ S5 ^ F1 ª 1º vertex of the rectangle^ ª 2º vertex of the rectangle ^ F6^ F1^
The area is already in the cursor. Just click on the project.
In this case I can not use the zoon since lost the final F6 and F1.
It is possible to implement a command so that we could simplify the calculation mediate areas, especially when the area is irregular and has more than 4 vertices?
#66682 by joshhuggins
Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:35 pm
Henrique S. Badalotti wrote:In this case I can not use the zoon since lost the final F6 and F1.
I'm not sure what you mean for this part, sorry. :oops: Can you explain a bit more? You should be able to zoom and not loose options during this command as far as I can tell.

Henrique S. Badalotti wrote:It is possible to implement a command so that we could simplify the calculation mediate areas, especially when the area is irregular and has more than 4 vertices?
If you stop at A=^:^F7^S5^ you can start snapping multiple points to do irregular shapes just like a polyline instead of adding ^F1^ for just a rectangles.
#66707 by Henrique S. Badalotti
Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:46 pm
joshhuggins wrote:.I'm not sure what you mean for this part, sorry. :oops: Can you explain a bit more? You should be able to zoom and not loose options during this command as far as I can tell.

I can't really explain. My English is not good. You could test?
The ^: ^ S5 ^F7^ F1^ªfirst vertex of the rectangle ^ ª second vertex of the rectangle ^ F6^ F1 ^

joshhuggins wrote:.If you stop at A=^:^F7^S5^ you can start snapping multiple points to do irregular shapes just like a polyline instead of adding ^F1^ for just a rectangles.

I know. But you won't have the result in the cursor.
To have the result in the cursor you have to press F6 and F1.
#66708 by joshhuggins
Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:28 pm
Henrique S. Badalotti wrote:I can't really explain. My English is not good. You could test?
The ^: ^ S5 ^F7^ F1^ªfirst vertex of the rectangle ^ ª second vertex of the rectangle ^ F6^ F1 ^

Your S5 & F7 are reversed. Should look like:
Code: Select all=^:^F7^S5^F1^ªfirst vertex of the rectangle^ªsecond vertex of the rectangle^F6^F1^

Henrique S. Badalotti wrote:I know. But you won't have the result in the cursor. To have the result in the cursor you have to press F6 and F1.
I see what you are hoping for. I don't think this is possible, to have Datacad know when you are done picking points for a polyline area in a toolbar/alias macro. This would require DCAL programming I think to register a right click to end the polyline points and then place the text in the drawing.
#66816 by Mark Bell
Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:41 pm
Some small enhancements which would make using knockouts with dimensioning quicker:

1. Add Alt+I (Identify - set-all) to copy the attributes of any dimensioning that has knockout + X and Y enlargement applied so any new dimensioning automatically has the settings applied,

2. When using Change-Text-Position, allow the text to be shown (user option) instead of just a bounding box outline of the text as in small/busy areas being able to see the whole text would help in placing it on the drawing so it's legible and not over other linework,

3. Add "previous selection" to Knockout so I can pick this instead of Alt + C - More - knockout - Yes - Border / X and Y enlargement etc.

Thanks.
#66824 by joshhuggins
Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:30 am
Love 1 & 2! Seems like 3 would make sense but don't quite follow. Where are you accessing the knockout command from?