What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#66435 by Mark Bell
Tue May 19, 2015 6:26 am
1. Add the ability to use (E)GAFS or at least area and fence to globally select text, dimensions, covered polylines and apply the knockout feature saving on time in having to individually ctrl-right click, apply knockout.

2. Also, with text/dims, allow area/fence to globally select and apply knockout, border, x/y enlargement in one go rather than selecting everything text and dimension individually to apply these changes.

3. Allow a toggle so knockouts can ignore color fills, ie. any linework, hatching, symbols, smart entities are still hidden by the knockout but the color fill is unbroken by the knockout. This is more beneficial with presentation drawings where the text needs to knockout busy linework but leave the color fill intact so it doesn't detract from the drawing.
#66440 by joshhuggins
Tue May 19, 2015 12:16 pm
Mark Bell wrote:1. Add the ability to use (E)GAFS or at least area and fence to globally select text, dimensions, covered polylines and apply the knockout feature saving on time in having to individually ctrl-right click, apply knockout.

2. Also, with text/dims, allow area/fence to globally select and apply knockout, border, x/y enlargement in one go rather than selecting everything text and dimension individually to apply these changes.
Howdy Mark, you can do this now via Change, More, Knockout.

Mark Bell wrote:3. Allow a toggle so knockouts can ignore color fills, ie. any linework, hatching, symbols, smart entities are still hidden by the knockout but the color fill is unbroken by the knockout. This is more beneficial with presentation drawings where the text needs to knockout busy linework but leave the color fill intact so it doesn't detract from the drawing.
Yeah it does look funny and is distracting when a knockout knocks out a fill. An option to ignore knockouts on a per entity option would work I think as well as maybe a "Ignore KOs" toggle in the hatch and SBF menus that would apply the value when creating them.
#66443 by Roger D
Tue May 19, 2015 2:01 pm
As Josh stated, for 1 & 2 you can do that with the change/more options, but I would also add that when picking by area, you might need to mask by text/ptext/mtext or dimensions, etc.

For 3, what if you put the color shade layer after the other items?
#66445 by joshhuggins
Tue May 19, 2015 3:40 pm
Roger D wrote:For 3, what if you put the color shade layer after the other items?
Only works if your not using the Pen Sort to determine ordering, which we do, and we are limited to +/- 15 pens/layers of ordering this way unfortunately.
#66506 by joshhuggins
Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:26 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:I would love to be able to edit an XClip like editing a polyline.
We can, when you are in the XClip menu, pick F8 Edit. It's fantastic! I wish we could move a xclip in whole without moving the xref so when the source moves we can just relocate the clip.
#66550 by Paul Nida
Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:09 am
I wish we could edit a regular clip cube the way we can xclips and sclips and polylines. I would also like for the edit 3d slabs and polygons to have all of the options of the 2d polyline edit menu. For instance drag edge, drag vertex, push-pull etc.
#66554 by jimgoodman
Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:48 am
Paul Nida wrote:I wish we could edit a regular clip cube the way we can xclips and sclips and polylines. I would also like for the edit 3d slabs and polygons to have all of the options of the 2d polyline edit menu. For instance drag edge, drag vertex, push-pull etc.

YES PLEASE for both!
#66626 by Mark Bell
Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:36 pm
I'd like to see the implementation of smart dimensioning for the smart entities (walls/doors/windows/voids) so when a wall/door/window is moved, or deleted the dimension string automatically updates.

I'd also like to see smart tags included for door and window scheduling. Placing door or window tags generates consecutive numbering (auto adjusted if one is deleted/inserted), and these tags generate auto elevations of the door and windows used. I think there's a lot of potential with the smart entities to create something that uses the information already placed in a drawing for other areas of construction documentation. Something basic would be good for starters and this can be added to with subsequent enhancements.
#66628 by Paul Nida
Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:33 pm
I agree with all of that and I could think of a number of things to add to make smart doors, walls and windows better. Unfortunately, while smart doors, smart walls and smart windows were added in version 12, here we are in the middle of version 17 and other than a few tweaks and minor improvements there has been no further movement with regards to smart entities. I have come to the conclusion that we are probably not going to get anything else. But hey, we got color and line type by layers, WOO HOO!
#66629 by wvar
Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:28 am
Paul Nida wrote:I agree with all of that and I could think of a number of things to add to make smart doors, walls and windows better. Unfortunately, while smart doors, smart walls and smart windows were added in version 12, here we are in the middle of version 17 and other than a few tweaks and minor improvements there has been no further movement with regards to smart entities. I have come to the conclusion that we are probably not going to get anything else. But hey, we got color and line type by layers, WOO HOO!

I wholly agree Paul. Where to next other than a few tweaks.
I would like to see datacad develop further.
#66636 by Mark Bell
Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:40 am
Now the smart parametrics are more stable we have been using them for construction documentation and it's working really well in allowing the original 2D/3D concept design to progress into construction drawings. It's proving to be a big time saver and has opened the door to a whole lot more wishlist items relevant to the 2D aspect of construction drawings using the 2D/3D information inbuilt into the smart entities. It would be a big step forward if the next DataCAD included new features and/or enhancements for the smart entities.
#66637 by Roger D
Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:07 am
I would agree.