What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#11267 by Dick Eades
Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:50 am
We've come a long way with many wonderful enhancements to the symbol system, but here are two things I would llike to see as improvements to the present v11 symbol browser.

First, when I ctrl+right click on a symbol and the menu pops up with Identify at the top, I want that Identify to give me the symbol name. At present, it doesn't. Yes, I can Identify the symbol with a separate Identify action but that is an interruption to the ctrl+right click menu that is already open.

Secondly, if I select Symbol Tools/Open in Symbol Browser it does little good to open a symbol folder with many similar symbols when I have difficulty knowing which symbol I have just chosen. A highlight would be extremely helpful to direct me to the symbol I am trying to work with.

Of course, the new enhancements in v12 that allow us to pick a symbol and edit it directly will be fantastic, but editing is not the only goal in identifying a symbol.
#11272 by Paul Nida
Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:21 pm
Dick Eades wrote:We've come a long way with many wonderful enhancements to the symbol system, but here are two things I would llike to see as improvements to the present v11 symbol browser.

If you mean that you would like to see this as e change in v11 before v12 is released, I think you are out of luck. I wouldn't expect to see any changes in v11 unless it is a fix to a serious bug. I think Dave and crew are busy working on trying to get v12 out as they should be. But if you are asking for these changes to be in v12, you have may vote.
#11274 by Dick Eades
Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:27 pm
I'm not asking for a revision to v11. That's why this is a wishlist (for future versions).
#11277 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:06 pm
Hello Dick,

This is a useful suggestion, whatever it comes while V11 or on V12.

Dick Eades wrote:...when I ctrl+right click on a symbol and the menu pops up with Identify at the top, I want that Identify to give me the symbol name.

Yes, the name would be very useful. And, additionally, the 'short name' itself, not the full path that is shown when you make the "Identify" feature.
When you got, today, a symbol in deeper position on your HD, or on a LAN you can have difificulties to actually identify it, cause the name appears at the end.
Perhaps that behavior (full path) should be kept only for the 'Identify' feature and your suggestion would be better used.

...Secondly, if I select Symbol Tools/Open in Symbol Browser it does little good to open a symbol folder with many similar symbols when I have difficulty knowing which symbol I have just chosen. A highlight would be extremely helpful to direct me to the symbol I am trying to work with.

Good tip.

Thanks,
Miguel
#11283 by Paul Nida
Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:29 pm
Dick,
When you said "... improvements to the present v11 symbol browser." I was afraid you were wanting a change to v11 prior to the introduction of v12. But as I said you have my vote.
#11284 by Dick Eades
Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:38 pm
I'm assuming that the v12 symbol browser will be an improvement on the v11 browser which is the only one we have as an example, since v10 did not have a symbol browser, at least not much of one.
#11293 by RPadgett
Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:15 am
while we are improving the Symbol Browser...I would like to reiterate other requests to be able to re-order the symbols