What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#8602 by Martell
Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:13 am
I don´t think so.
I think it is only possible to import Sketchup files.
Sketup is made for quick concepts. So you create it quick in Sketchup and import in DataCAD 12 to work it out.
So I think that´s the philosophy.
However, we will see.

Martell
#8603 by Arthur Emmanuel
Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:19 am
It is as the transit, has that to have cars in 2 sensible ones. I do not see the SketchUp as a plant of symbols only. An advantage of the SketchUp is to create animations and to export in 3ds with the unbroken textures, points of finishing of the project.
#8629 by hh660
Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:29 pm
good afternoon,
I've had pretty good success exporting dcad 3d models to sku. 2d plans export to sku very well-(z base z ht = 0)
I have had only fair success with exporting a sku model to dcad for 3d work, I think it reads it as a symbol. While the image imported from sku looks strange in dcad, if you open it in o2c, it looks fine-some color changes required. This allows for the placement of lights in the model, something sku cannot do. If you ever look at the sku forum, you'll notice the ability to have lights is pretty high on most folks list.
S
#8642 by Arthur Emmanuel
Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:09 am
The irony is that the SketchUp does not obtain to create interior lights, but can guide the light of the sun in any direction. And the DataCAD obtains to create interior lights omni of low intensity, but the light of the sun is fixed.
#11953 by RDanne
Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:44 pm
We're trying out the freebie version of Google-Sketchup and think it's a great companion to DCAD v11. One item we cannot seem to fix is getting our datacad 3D models to load cleanly into SketchUp if they contain X-refs. A typical situation would be a condo project with one "real" 3D unit that is repeated/mirrored via xrefs for a multi-unit building. Saving out to DWG and then importing into SU ~ only the origial unit comes in correctly while the xrefs come in as wireframe. Maybe it has something to do with the dwg/dxf conversion?

-Ron Danne, AIBD
Columbus OH
#11963 by Ted B
Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:53 pm
I've been an advocate of the Datacad-SketchUp pairing for years.

I have ported across floor plans on occasion to SketchUp to create walk-thrus. The biggest annoyance is the headers and sill-walls under windows have to be hand-inserted once in SketchUp; takes about an hour to cleanup a two-floor houseplan and make adjustments to the 'x-height' of some elements; kitchen cabinets, bathrooms. It's the one time that I wish that Datacad had a "hide headers" like Autocad where they live on an "off"-layer until you need them; rather than being erased when the door or window symbol is inserted in 2D. Datacad's 3D stair generator works great in SketchUp, though it can be a little hard on the calculation speed.

But I always start my elevations in SketchUp and port them over as 'hidden line' into the Datacad construction drawings...even perspective views.