What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#81357 by Joseph Baron
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:08 am
You can set that in the properties and stacked also works when using inch fracs with the 'drawing' setting. Look under Settings > Scale Type.

I had deleted my previous post because I thought I had misunderstood what you were trying to do.

DataCAD Inch Frac Stacked Properties.jpg
DataCAD Inch Frac Stacked Properties.jpg (43.18 KiB) Viewed 8601 times
#81359 by Joseph Baron
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:30 am
DataCAD Settings Scale Type Inch Frac Stacked.jpg
DataCAD Settings Scale Type Inch Frac Stacked.jpg (22.91 KiB) Viewed 8600 times
#81444 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:40 pm
When DataCAD is running but with no drawings open - it sure would be great to be able toggle the Layer Manager off/on - without having to open a drawing.

A related to this, if I have the LM persistent, it would be nice to have it "go behind" the active other program.
#81445 by Joseph Baron
Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:00 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:When DataCAD is running but with no drawings open - it sure would be great to be able toggle the Layer Manager off/on - without having to open a drawing. A related to this, if I have the LM persistent, it would be nice to have it "go behind" the active other program.

It does 'go behind' acvtive other program in 22.02.05.05 beta, I haven't checked previous versions.

I'm curious how would having the LM open with no drawing open be helpful? Is it because you have to reboot if you change the persistence?
#81447 by joshhuggins
Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:07 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:When DataCAD is running but with no drawings open - it sure would be great to be able toggle the Layer Manager off/on - without having to open a drawing.
Second That! :D

Neil Blanchard wrote:A related to this, if I have the LM persistent, it would be nice to have it "go behind" the active other program.
Not sure if I fully understand your wish, but as Joseph mentioned, other programs should be able to draw over Datacad / Layer Manager if they are the active program or were at some point. It won't jump behind all open programs at once when any other program is selected, but will follow Windows draw order based on when the last windows / programs were active. Or are you asking for something different?

Joseph Baron wrote:I'm curious how would having the LM open with no drawing open be helpful? Is it because you have to reboot if you change the persistence?
I think it's more about being able to close the Layer Manager if there are no drawings open. :wink:
#81449 by Joseph Baron
Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:31 pm
joshhuggins wrote:I think it's more about being able to close the Layer Manager if there are no drawings open. :wink:

I like to learn how others work in DataCAD whenever possible and that sometimes triggers my curiosity...

Why not just minimize DataCAD? :?
#81454 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:59 am
I should add some particulars, maybe? I have the LM set to be kept open, and it is separate outside the DataCAD window, on a second monitor. If I have DataCAD running but now drawings open, and I have other programs open - they go in front of the main DataCAD window (as they should) but the LM stays in front of everything.

And I can't just close the LM if I don't have a drawing open. If another program is open "over" the main DataCAD window, then having the LM over things is kinda' weird. If the LM acted like the SB does, that would be great.
#81456 by joshhuggins
Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:15 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:I should add some particulars, maybe? I have the LM set to be kept open, and it is separate outside the DataCAD window, on a second monitor. If I have DataCAD running but now drawings open, and I have other programs open - they go in front of the main DataCAD window (as they should) but the LM stays in front of everything.
That sounds like it's not working right. I wonder if we might have a INI setting that differs. If you want to upload your INI file I can use UltraCompare to compare the two files and see if a difference might be related? It's a great little tool, became familiar with it after learning about their main product UltraEdit from Mike Smith's & Richard Morse's Official Datacad Users Guide 9.0. Man that was a great book! LOL, just looked it up on Amazon, and you can get a used copy for $1.36 or a new copy for $109.79. :shock: :lol: Hope the boys are getting a cut of that check still.
#81457 by dhs
Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:54 pm
Mike Smith's & Richard Morse's

Now there's a couple of names I haven't heard much for a while. I never met Mike, but it was Ric who recruited me to work for DataCAD (which I only ended up doing for a few months). I believe Mike is now the owner of Signature Architects (and presumably still using DataCAD ), but I sometimes wonder where Ric has ended up...?
#81460 by Mark Bell
Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:59 pm
dhs wrote:
Mike Smith's & Richard Morse's

Now there's a couple of names I haven't heard much for a while. I never met Mike, but it was Ric who recruited me to work for DataCAD (which I only ended up doing for a few months). I believe Mike is now the owner of Signature Architects (and presumably still using DataCAD ), but I sometimes wonder where Ric has ended up...?

I remember these as well. Mike featured some of my work on the front and back cover of his book- https://www.amazon.com.au/Official-Data ... 0071363564 .....a bit of nostalgia.
#81461 by Joseph Baron
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:36 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:...then having the LM over things is kinda' weird. If the LM acted like the SB does, that would be great.

I would vote for this as I think it's a better solution making external DataCAD windows operate the same.