What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#8876 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:50 pm
Hello Dave,

Among things I'd love to see in the promised improvements on the Object-snap features are:

a) Tangent Line among two circles or arcs
If you are 'arriving' to a curve (or circle) and want to tangent it, you can find this point today, normally. My wish is to 'start' from a tangent point to reach another tangent point. Since this starting point is 'virtually' not known yet, today this is not possible.

b) Tangent Arc among two arcs
Example: when you are designing a swimming pool with curved tangents borders, this is a required feature for the precision of design.

Suggestion for this Improvement
Using the 'Shift' key hold down you would be allowed to select from the context menu for the desired obj_snap selection, like this:

DataCAD would 'catch' (identify) the Entity itself (say an arc or a line), but not yet the object snap 'Point'. This would be hold-up until you specify the second end-point:

Then DataCAD would draw the entity (line) at the definitive position, realocating the temporary starting point to fit the original choice (in the example, tangent):

This could also address a problem of today, when you got the 'circ or arc' Object Snaps settings turned ON (quadrant, tangent, center), these settings does overlap the linear osnaps like endpoint, intersection, etc., and vice versa. I guess the option to choose among a list of obj_snap settings can handle satisfactorily the subject.

Thanks,
Miguel
#8883 by Steve Baldwin
Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:09 pm
Excellent suggestion! I would sure like to see this too!
#8887 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:30 am
Hello,

May be we could deal with the 'mathematical' stuff, using a pseudo-rotation around the first-arc center. Since DataCAD has identified that the first entity is an 'arc' it would be able to know 'where' is this center point, making a dynamic rotation around it, with the entity to be drawn.

Thanks,
Miguel
#8893 by Heinrich
Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:04 pm
Miguel Palaoro wrote:May be we could deal with the 'mathematical' stuff, using a pseudo-rotation around the first-arc center. Since DataCAD has identified that the first entity is an 'arc' it would be able to know 'where' is this center point, making a dynamic rotation around it, with the entity to be drawn.

Now that, my friend, is simply brilliant.Image

-Redd
#8901 by Steve Scott
Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:41 pm
Miguel,
I've wished for each of these at some time in the past. The math behind
these is probably fairly complex.
#8902 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:43 am
You're right Steve.

But, our role is to put ahead the ideas. Dave's is to find the way it can be turned into the 'real' world.
He has already faced and addressed several math challenges with his team that I believe we can hope for some good news ahead.

Thanks,
Miguel
#8927 by MtnArch
Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:05 pm
The 800lb gorilla has this in it, so it is achievable - though I'm not sure what it cost Autodesk in development costs.