What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#3239 by sledge
Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:07 pm
When Xrefs are grouped on a sheet using Clipcube "XREF Clip" the clip cubes are lost when exporting to a dwg file. Since Dwg is the universal CAD language (unfortunately) It would be greatly appreciated from an office productivity perspective not to have to work around this problem.

Thanks
Sledge
#3891 by sledge
Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:16 pm
Has nobody any comment? :?
#3946 by sledge
Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:09 am
Neil
With reference to your last comment I just opened a copy of a Drawing which used Xref clip cubes as previously mentioned. I am using the latest version of Datacad but find that it still displays all the extranious stuff in the DWG version but which Datacad cuts out.

Thanks again
Steve
#3950 by Miguel Palaoro
Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:02 pm
Hello Steve,

My guess is that this is not currently possible because X-Clip (as long as Clip-Cube), today is only a 'visual-clipping' engine.
It is not yet a "physical" clipping feature.

Thanks,
Miguel
#3986 by sledge
Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:12 pm
Thanks Miguel
I dont know anything about how the clip cube routine (if that is the right term) works much less the translation from Dcad to Acad but it would seem to me that if Dcad could tranlate only the visible enitities into DWG files whilst still retaining the layer structure etc we would be on a winner.

By the way the same applies to the use of multi-layout drawings which last time I used them ( some time ago) did not work properly when translated to DWG files

In other words if the "engine" doesnt work can it not be fixed or improved

Steve
#6661 by jddarr66
Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:14 pm
It surprised me to find out when working with AutoCAD that the XClip feature not only worked on Xrefs, but also blocks as well...which actually makes sense due to the fact AutoCAD references are basically blocks which are linked. I found out the hard way when I xclipped an xref and accidentally included an active block inside the border and poof...it was gone!

Microstation reference clipping is a bit different and more like DataCAD in that it is more of a visual clip. No actual entities are deleted. However, the clipped Microstation reference will translate to AutoCAD. You can also copy a clipped reference (bind it) and the clipping will be maintained.

Like Miguel, I don't have the foggiest clue how clip cubes work or how the translation process works, but it does seem feasible that DataCAD clip cubes could translate to AutoCAD with the right tweaking.

David