What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#50262 by joshhuggins
Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:49 pm
I think I'm going to start breaking my lists up into versions as my old list is getting too long. So to start for X3...

:idea: When we Ctrl+Right click on a symbol, Symbol Tools, could we get a Open Explorer Folder option to open the folder in Explorer.

:idea: Would love stamps that could be inserted into symbols, so when viewing the symbols from the drawing they would show the name of the symbols w/ corresponding path options like the existing File Name stamps have.
(Edit) This would be nice for Xrefs also! Maybe a toggle in the Attribute dialog to be self aware?

:idea: Would be nice to be able to turn off smart wall node indicators.

:idea: A button at the top to the Wall, Door, Window managers from the Wall, Door, Window properties dialogs.

:idea: I like that individual smart walls allow us to change there color using the normal Change, Color commands. would be nice to be able to do this for individual doors and windows.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
#50449 by Paul Nida
Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:36 pm
joshhuggins wrote::idea: Would be nice to be able to turn off smart wall node indicators.

I agree Josh, I have asked for this before. Frankly I can't use it the way it is. This is one of the major reasons we still don't use the smart walls. If your plan is very big it gets to the point that you can't see the building for all of the 'x's and diamonds.

Also doors and windows need to be linked to the walls so that when you make changes they don't out of the plane of the wall by 1/64" and lose their wall opening so they wind up in a solid wall.
#50450 by joshhuggins
Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:09 pm
Yeah I was only working on a small plan, and it's just too much clutter on the screen. Is there value to have this for the user I am not aware of?
Last edited by joshhuggins on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#50451 by Brian Engebretson
Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:37 pm
The only reason I’ve accepted them is that we have a lot of old plans that were pre-smart wall days. So it’s kind of nice to quickly see what method of walls I need to use on a drawing. Other than that, I'd love to turn off the smart wall nodes.
#50452 by David A. Giesselman
Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:02 pm
Uncle!!!Image

Done for the next update.

Dave
#50466 by joshhuggins
Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:25 pm
:idea: What if smart arrows could have a head and tail? The Arrow menu & Arrow properties dialog could have Head Style and Tail Style buttons/drop downs to set each.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#50657 by joshhuggins
Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:30 pm
In the Referance Manager, if we right click on layers, we have Copy and Paste Highlight settings options, how about a Remove Highlight Settings?
#50665 by Rick Oswalt
Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:50 am
joshhuggins wrote:
Would be nice to be able to turn off smart wall node indicators.

Paul Nida wrote:
I agree Josh, I have asked for this before. Frankly I can't use it the way it is. This is one of the major reasons we still don't use the smart walls. If your plan is very big it gets to the point that you can't see the building for all of the 'x's and diamonds.

Also doors and windows need to be linked to the walls so that when you make changes they don't out of the plane of the wall by 1/64" and lose their wall opening so they wind up in a solid wall.

This should have been included in a 12v fix/upgrade.
It doesn't seem that 12v has ever been finished.
What happened to the big push for "Smart"?
It seem that with the new versions (12 now 13) Datacad has had to change file extensions? Is this a marketing thing or has the programmers came to a dead end?

Josh: Sorry if I hijacked you thread. :oops:
#50667 by joshhuggins
Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:44 am
Rick Oswalt wrote:It seem that with the new versions (12 now 13) Datacad has had to change file extensions? Is this a marketing thing or has the programmers came to a dead end?
The file extension change in version 11. There was a major overhaul done to the file database (added double precision) done in that version which allowed for more precise math which in turned fixed a lot of old problems dealing with complex math and distances. It was necessary to change the file extensions to keep the two identified properly and DC5 was not designed to support the idea of double precision. DC5 was created so far back it would have been hard to foresee how this would need to be handled. As for the "completeness" of v12, I agree to a point that the smart entities like the walls and roof tools might have been hyped to have more coming in updates than was released, but for me upgrading to 12 or X3 was not about the smarts, but all the Xref and symbol tools which for our office has more than paid for the upgrade cost. If I had to guess why the smarts are not moving along as fast as hoped, I would guess that it's been hard to add new technology into a ancient (in technology years) CAD system and making all the legacy edit methods function so it familiar to the core Datacad base who have a hard time adjusting working in new methods. And tie that into the dead economy of our profession, and I'm sure funds for R&D are short. I think they are trying like all of us to get the company thru this recession, and out the other side, and by providing still substantial new features, albeit not too much smart stuff in a upgrade for vX3 seems to be doing that. This is just my view of things from where I am and may not be accurate.
#50668 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:41 pm
joshhuggins wrote:In the Referance Manager, if we right click on layers, we have Copy and Paste Highlight settings options, how about a Remove Highlight Settings?

How about a Clear Highlight Settings?

Dave
#50669 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:59 pm
Josh,

joshhuggins wrote::idea: What if smart arrows could have a head and tail? The Arrow menu & Arrow properties dialog could have Head Style and Tail Style buttons/drop downs to set each.

I think I agree with this, but your picture link is busticated...
#50670 by joshhuggins
Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:00 pm
I like it!
#50672 by joshhuggins
Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:36 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:Josh,

joshhuggins wrote::idea: What if smart arrows could have a head and tail? The Arrow menu & Arrow properties dialog could have Head Style and Tail Style buttons/drop downs to set each.

I think I agree with this, but your picture link is busticated...
Hmmm it's showing on my box?
#50674 by Rick Oswalt
Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:41 pm
Thanks Josh. I do appreciate you view. I have no intention of jumping ship.
I have been custom home building for more than thirty-five years and I do understand when it is time to put MY tool belt back on.
I know that with Datacad there is always a way to make it happen. Especially with the help of the forums.
#50680 by MtnArch
Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:51 pm
I can't see your example either, Josh.

I guess your box has something the rest of ours don't ... the screenshot! :lol: