What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#50707 by Bruce111
Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:36 am
When using the symbol browser I have some folders that contain things like Universal beam or timber sections which look all the same in the browser and I have to hold the cursor over each one to get the name of that particular file and once found click and insert and all this take time. The browser is a great visual tool in most cases. What would aid the selection of symbol in the case where a lot of symbols look the same is if I could change the browser into a list view so that I could see all the names of the files in a list format, like in Windows Explorer.
#50708 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:12 am
Hi Bruce,

It would be great to be able to drag and drop symbols so they would appear in a particular order; and it would be great to have a caption/title on the SB grid so you could read the label.
#50712 by Nick Pyner
Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:04 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:so they would appear in a particular order;

I think I did this with a window set by by putting numbers in front of the filenames.
#50729 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:28 pm
Yes, a prefix like 00-SymbolName, 01-SymbolName is a fine workaround, but not having to get under the hood to do this would be better.

Cheap Trick: click on Save Symbol and then Right-Click on the symbol and select Rename and add the prefix number, and when you hit Enter, the order will change immediately in the SB grid. Do the same for the next symbol, and repeat as necessary. Then close the Save Symbol dialog...
#50734 by Bruce111
Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:39 am
Thanks for the instruction Neil, I will try that and see if it helps.

Having thought about this a bit more (and I have not tried this yet) I think I could insert very small text to each symbol (so that the text is inside the symbol and not visible at a normal print scale) in a non print colour and then zoom in to the text and just show the text in the browser windows as a work around. Hold on! I dont think I can adjust how the symbol looks in the browser I think it just saves the extent of the symbol. Perhaps we could have the option when saving the symbol to make this possible. Oh well back to the original idea.

Thanks again
#50735 by Nick Pyner
Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:43 am
What you seem to be talking about would probably be better served by a piped symbol, whereby you see text in the browser but the actual symbol you insert is something else.
#50746 by Bruce111
Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:10 am
Nick Pyner wrote:What you seem to be talking about would probably be better served by a piped symbol, whereby you see text in the browser but the actual symbol you insert is something else.

Hi Nick,

Not sure what to call it, But Pipe Symbol sound to be it.

Many thanks