What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#51775 by Bruce111
Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 am
I would love to be able to pick (Turn on or off) multiple GTV. This would save me going through layers turning them on and off when needed and when I want to work on then or take references from another view.
#51787 by Bruce111
Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:10 pm
Daniel Kaczor wrote:Multiview windows?

Yes that helps once all the reliant layers are selected, but it would be very much quicker to be able to select more than a single GTV. I think this is similar to being able to select layers by groups which I think has been mentioned before by others.
#51801 by joshhuggins
Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:06 pm
That is an interesting idea Bruce, I could see that being very handy. Maybe a button in the GTV menu or a check box in the View drop down menu that when turned on, would allow GTVs to be "sticky" so that they don't turn off when a new GTV is turned on.
#51803 by Nick Pyner
Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:06 pm
I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, but if there is one, I think it can be fixed with some xreffing.
Last edited by Nick Pyner on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
#51804 by joshhuggins
Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:00 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:You could hold the Control key down when clicking on the GTV button?

Nice, this would be cool and a somewhat known standard. Could be applied to other things also. That is if the menus can watch for the control key like the insert symbol does.
#51805 by Tony Blasio
Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:24 am
OK...maybe I am a bit slow this morning. How would this be useful? A GTV is a saved set of On and Off Layers. Wouldn't selecting more than one cause conflicts with which layers are to be on and which are to be off?

Not saying I am against it, just that I don't get it...
#51808 by Paul Nida
Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:01 am
I am with you Tony, I don't understand this discussion at all. You either go to a GTV or you go to a different GTV. The only way to go to multiple GTVs is to have multiple windows and I thought that is what multi-view was for.
#51809 by MtnArch
Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:45 am
Bruce - correct me if I'm not reading this correctly, but are you wishing to use the other GTV's as pseudo Xref's? What you want to do is use another GTV (or multiple GTV's) as a (non-active) reference while you're working in a single (active) GTV?
#51813 by joshhuggins
Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:19 pm
O.K., you have different views setup, but you want to compare the between two, three or more. Yes you could insert a xrefs into the others, but what if you need to make changes across all of them? You would have to either keep changing back in forth between GTV's while working, which moves and zooms your view point away from the area your working in, or create different GTV's or multi-view windows (if you have some to spare) for each viewing scenario you need. If you have more than two GTV's to compare the extra management grows exponentially. If this still doesn't make sense and you've never needed to do this type of comparison and changes, consider yourself lucky :D
#51820 by Bruce111
Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:44 am
Yes that is how I see it Josh, I find myself creating additional layers to put on self xrefs to achieve what I want to do, as others have indicated. This creates additional layers or clip cubes ( if done that way around) and resources in creating self xrefs and time in creating and aligning them all. MW or additional GTVs could be used and set up to achieve this but in my current file I have run out of Multi windows due to the amount of drawing sections I have, I also have allot of additional GTVs which take time to sort through.

for example, when using construction lines taken off from other drawing sections with their own set of layers in a GTV. It would be convenient to turn on two GTVs (or more) at the same time. This would reduce the number of layers, GTVs, self xrefs required and the sorting of them.

I do allot of house extensions where this is not so much of an issue but with this particular current project I have 92 GTVs and all the layer to go with them. I am getting confused with the complexity of the file arrangement. :?
#51821 by Tony Blasio
Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:43 am
joshhuggins wrote:O.K., you have different views setup, but you want to compare the between two, three or more. Yes you could insert a xrefs into the others, but what if you need to make changes across all of them? You would have to either keep changing back in forth between GTV's while working, which moves and zooms your view point away from the area your working in, or create different GTV's or multi-view windows (if you have some to spare) for each viewing scenario you need. If you have more than two GTV's to compare the extra management grows exponentially. If this still doesn't make sense and you've never needed to do this type of comparison and changes, consider yourself lucky :D

Guess I am just lucky... :?
#55639 by Roger D
Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:32 pm
I think it would be nice for GTV to also remember the settings for on/off of Hatch, Fills, Bitrmaps, KO.
Maybe all of SWOTHLUDFBK?