What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#53039 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:13 pm
I just got "bitten" by using a mirror line that was 0 degrees 7 minutes 7 seconds off of orthogonal. Can we get a Message when mirroring that identifies the angle of the mirroring line, please?
Last edited by Neil Blanchard on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#53050 by Nick Pyner
Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:19 pm
I don't think that is the right way to go about it. You are likely to ignore the message, just like you ignore all the other messages.

A menu button that enables the option to lock the mirror facility to Orthomode might be a better approach.
#53075 by joshhuggins
Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Nick Pyner wrote:A menu button that enables the option to lock the mirror facility to Orthomode might be a better approach.
Or we could just hit O for Ortho. :wink:
Neil Blanchard wrote:I just got "bitten" by using a mirror line that was 0 degrees 7 minutes 7 seconds off of orthogonal. Can we get a Message when mirroring that identifies the angle of the mirroring line, please?
In the info toolbar, it gives the angle of the mirror line as we draw it. If your wanting a common angle, I would use the cursor and toggle on ortho. For weird angles we are gonna snap to something or manually input the angle I would think right? Once we've input the angle manually it disappears of course as finish your 2 point selection for the angle. Since the data of the angle is already known, might as well report it. This would be especially handy when using Prev. Line, when a non common angle is used to be able to recall the last angle used. So I vote to get the angle report but I think I would use it more for non-ortho situations I think.
#53076 by joshhuggins
Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:03 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:...If "Fix Text" could correct dimension numbers so they are readable -- but leaves them on the same side of the dimension line as the original, that would be great.
Don't recall coming across this but, it sounds like the way you said it here is hopefully they way it should work if possible. No time to test, my Tacobell just got here. :mrgreen:
#53078 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:58 pm
On the first issue, to answer Josh's thought: I had to snap at both ends of the mirror line -- because I then used the "Add 90 Ctr" option, and so doing this in Ortho mode would not have solved it. If the two points were aligned (as I assumed they were), then I would have been fine; but since I had to snap both ends, I had no way of knowing that the mirror line was just a tiny bit off...
#53090 by Nick Pyner
Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:46 am
joshhuggins wrote:
Nick Pyner wrote:A menu button that enables the option to lock the mirror facility to Orthomode might be a better approach.
Or we could just hit O for Ortho. :wink:

As one normally does but, since I would pretty well always require the mirror line to be ortho, and in the light of me being recently bitten like Neil, it has occurred to me that locking it would be a good move. The fact that I can't remember when it happened before, if ever, simply reinforces the concept.

The only problem then would be remembering how to unlock it, like getting that stupid box around the cursor.....
#53092 by Paul Nida
Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:48 am
I think that if you are snapping to points you get what you get. And that is the way it should be. I don't want to snap to two points for a mirror line only to find that it is only mirroring about a vertical line or a horizontal line regardless of the mirror line I draw. If you want to mirror about an orthogonal line then don't snap to points.
#53098 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:20 am
Right Paul, that is why I was asking for a message line that showed the angle of the mirror line, so one could confirm their assumption of what they were getting.

Another mirroring wish: I almost always use tick marks on dimensions, and when they get mirrored the tick marks end up in an "unconventional" direction. This is minor, but if the tick marks could keep their original orientation, that would be slick!
#53103 by Paul Nida
Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:09 pm
Sorry Neil, I didn't go back to the original post and had not read it in a couple of days. I have never had much of a problem with this because I either use ortho or snap to points that I know are not oriented in ortho mode and are at the angle about which I wish to mirror. If I want to mirror about a specific orthographic line I only snap at the first point and use ortho to get the second.