What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#53621 by joshhuggins
Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:54 am
Copied from my X3 wishlist:
:idea: When we Ctrl+Right click on a symbol, Symbol Tools, could we get a Open Explorer Folder option to open the folder in Explorer.

:idea: Would love stamps that could be inserted into symbols, so when viewing the symbols from the drawing they would show the name of the symbols w/ corresponding path options like the existing File Name stamps have.
(Edit) This would be nice for Xrefs also! Maybe a toggle in the Attribute dialog to be self aware?

:idea: A button at the top to the Wall, Door, Window managers from the Wall, Door, Window properties dialogs.

:idea: I like that individual smart walls allow us to change there color using the normal Change, Color commands. would be nice to be able to do this for individual doors and windows.

:idea: What if smart arrows could have a head and tail? The Arrow menu & Arrow properties dialog could have Head Style and Tail Style buttons/drop downs to set each.

:idea: It would be nice if when we using Move or Copy with Drag, that when we are prompted to click the point to drag from, that there was a At Center option in the menu that would pick the center of the selected entities like the S3 At Center in the clipboard select menu.

:idea: I don't know if it's possible or not, but it would be nice if you open a symbol from a drawing that it could use the drawings printer settings vs. it always resetting to no printer setup.

:idea: I wish we could store light sources inside symbols. Having them be maybe a small piece of geometry or maybe just a point that would have light data stored in it's database/file. Each light point, hmm I like that name, could have the shader setting info stored in it. And maybe allow saving the shader settings to ini files so we can save light sources info to file to easily load them into these light points.

:idea: Tile-able polyline textures, with a scale adjustments like the materials have.

:idea: The ability to Change, More, Hatch, Hatch Type, (all settings from Hatch Type Menu). This way we can apply hatch type settings independent of the hatch menu which forces you to set the correct hatch settings for each different hatch "type".
Miguel Palaoro wrote:I like the idea. And suspect that it could be a kind of Custom Hatch Style (different from regular Hatch Style which is a hatch distribution guide in fact).
It might be reached via Context menu, as an additional option for handling that kind of "polyline", as a hatch. This would work only for Associative hatches, of course.

:idea: It would be nice to be able to create multiple color translation files that we would be able to load at the import and export dialogs. Right now it's pretty straight forward to create/adjust the default.tbl using the DWG TrueView to view a clients ctb file and then adjust the translation table, the clincher is having to swap out the single tbl file each time, and keeping them stashed away in different folders. The swapping out of the default.tbl in the file system is a little much for some users. Maybe adding a path option \support files\Translation Tables?

Color Mapper

Color Translation Export

Color Translation Import

:idea: I think I have a possible answer to a somewhat big wish we've had of being able to fill multiple attributes by filling out a single visible attribute in the Edit/Customize Symbol Attribute dialog. Right now when we set an attribute to Locked, it is hidden from the users view when using the Edit/Customize Symbol Attribute dialog and only reads information from the Value field, EVEN if you have the attribute set to use the Database linkage. If it could be tweaked so if Locked, & Database linkage is set to Field Filled By Lookup, that it would still hide the field in the Edit/Customize Symbol Attribute dialog, but display the data in the symbol according to the lookup. Seems like this should be an easy solution, I hope it is. Thanks!

:idea: It would be handy if when you make a selection using Fence in the Move or Copy commands (and other commands?) if when your Max Lines limit is passed it could show the boundary of the fence vs. the square extents box. It would help see the actual boundaries of the objects being selected better and help in locating things when not moving by specific points.

:idea: The S7 Explode option in the P/MText menus is handy thank you! Would be useful to have it also in the Attribute menu too to explode attributes back to dumb text.

:idea: Would be nice if we could set a different linetype and spacing for door swing arcs for both 2D & Smart Doors so we could have solid doors and then dashed swings.

:idea: A lil bumpin for an oldie wish of expandable toolbars.

:idea: Would be nice if when in the middle of adding entities to a clipboard set, that if we need to use Identify, it would not forget the previously selected entities when we right click out of Identify back to the Add To Set menu.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#53622 by joshhuggins
Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:56 am
:idea: Support for more than two toolbars on screen. Would be really nice if there was no limit.

:idea: When identifying a smart wall, it would be nice if it could report the length of the section you click on in addition to the total wall length.

:idea: Would it be nice if layers remembered their last used linetype and spacing like they do for color? I think it would, trying to think of a negative aspect of this. What do ya think?

:idea: Ability to turn covers on or off for polylines via area. I know we can use the Polyline Edit menu to toggle covers on and off, but to be able to just do an area of a bunch of polylines and set all of their covers to on or off. There is no real way to view if the covers are on or off in Datacad, so having go back and forth between Datacad and a viewer check which ones you have covered can be tedious.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#53677 by jimgoodman
Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:23 pm
joshhuggins wrote::idea: Support for more than two toolbars on screen. Would be really nice if there was no limit. - I concur

:idea: Would it be nice if layers remembered their last used linetype and spacing like they do for color? I think it would, trying to think of a negative aspect of this. What do ya think? This one has been on my list for quite a while as well!
:!:
:idea: Ability to turn covers on or off for polylines via area. I know we can use the Polyline Edit menu to toggle covers on and off, but to be able to just do an area of a bunch of polylines and set all of their covers to on or off. There is no real way to view if the covers are on or off in Datacad, so having go back and forth between Datacad and a viewer check which ones you have covered can be tedious. Count me in on this one as well.

I have also requested, and re-request, that the polygon editing tools be updated to parallel/match those available for polylines. Either that, of provide polylines with all the 3d capabitilites available for polygons.
#53678 by joshhuggins
Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:02 pm
jimgoodman wrote:Either that, of provide polylines with all the 3d capabitilites available for polygons.
I think this is where things are going.
#53679 by jimgoodman
Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:39 pm
joshhuggins wrote:
jimgoodman wrote:Either that, of provide polylines with all the 3d capabitilites available for polygons.
I think this is where things are going.

That's my sense as well.
#53710 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:39 am
:idea: Would be nice if when we export a drawing to DWG, in the export dialog if there was a check box that if a layer that contains a image file is exported, that the image file is copied to export location.
#53711 by MtnArch
Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 pm
joshhuggins wrote::idea: Would be nice if when we export a drawing to DWG, in the export dialog if there was a check box that if a layer that contains a image file is exported, that the image file is copied to export location.

I'll second that wish!
#53768 by joshhuggins
Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:40 pm
:idea: Printable snap points. Sometimes you just need to. :wink:
#53769 by Paul Nida
Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:37 pm
Personally, I don't want snap points to be printable. I use them quite a bit while drawing but I don't want them to show up on the plots. This would need to be either a new entity type or some kind of a toggle that one would be able to turn on/off. My preforance would be to default to off, and I can't see myself ever turning it on.
#53770 by Paul Nida
Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:40 pm
BTW, if I ever need something like a snap point to plot, I just add a very short line, a small circle or a small cross or "x".
#53771 by joshhuggins
Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:16 am
We usually do the add a little line or circle too, but today we had to plot out tons of points to create a mappings of roof snow loading for an insurance court case. There was TONS of points created using the divide tool. Having to go back and put a little marker on each one was a royal PITA. Probably about 400 of the little boogers per house. In this case it would have been much easier if we could have toggled something on to print the points out. We hardly ever want to print them either, but there has been a few times like this where we really wish we could. I would vote for the default option to be off also of course if something could be added. And then to top it off, I then of course got the "Well Autocad can do it" line from the two draftsmen helping on the project. They were already gone when I had my comeback line ready. I'm saving it for next time.... :twisted:
#53773 by Roger D
Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:51 am
would a dotted line of worked, or did it have to be evenly divided and not a set distance?
#53774 by Paul Nida
Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:56 am
Josh, I am not opposed to it as long as it is an option that can be switched on and off. I think 99.9% of the time I would want it off but there may be an occasional time when I might want it on, I just don't know what that would be. Now, to do what you are talking about, I would probably create a symbol of either a small cross or an "x", or maybe just use the letter "x", and use copy array and adjust as needed.
#53775 by Roger D
Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:50 am
Or the option in the Divide command to insert symbol or small circle, or printable point, or ???
#53777 by joshhuggins
Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:17 am
Roger D wrote:would a dotted line of worked, or did it have to be evenly divided and not a set distance?
Yeah it was even divisions, and then more divisions within some of the divisions. Dang engineers always make things so difficult. :wink: