What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#54346 by joshhuggins
Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:41 pm
:idea: In the Linetype Manager, would love a Replace button under the Embedded Linetype area that when clicked would prompt you to pick a new linetype and it would replace the original highlighted embedded linetype with a new line type definition in the drawing (& stored symbols).
#54347 by Roger D
Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:10 pm
joshhuggins wrote::idea: In the Linetype Manager, would love a Replace button under the Embedded Linetype area that when clicked would prompt you to pick a new linetype and it would replace the original highlighted embedded linetype with a new line type definition in the drawing (& stored symbols).

How is this different from Change/Linetype/Mask/Linetype/Pick the linetype to change from?
#54371 by joshhuggins
Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:42 pm
When replacing linetypes for a drawings base entities I would do as you mention Roger, but my thinking is if we could replace an actual definition of an embedded linetype stored in the drawing that it would also replace the definition of linetypes used within symbols. The replace function would have to read all the entities within the drawing, including entities stored as part of symbols and replace the one linetype for the other. To do this now, you have to open every single symbol (not multiple instances of the same symbol of course) and replace the same linetype over and over again. This would be great so when you have preloaded symbols for a job but need to replace one linetype because of maybe a need for a different material or method and the linetype denoting that method needs to be changed. For me right now, it's kind of a special case. This would be a big time save for firms like ours that have 10's of thousands of symbols and need to replace old out-dated linetypes with newer definitions. I am currently in the process of restructuring our whole symbol archive to take advantage of Datacad's new view dependent symbols. This replace function would save me a lot of time in this task too.

(Edit: See this post for a good example how this can be used)
Last edited by joshhuggins on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
#54744 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:26 pm
:idea: A Distance /2 option in the Offset menu like there is in the Move & copy menus. Use that a lot.
#54745 by David A. Giesselman
Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:54 pm
joshhuggins wrote::idea: A Distance /2 option in the Offset menu like there is in the Move & copy menus. Use that a lot.

Good suggestion Josh!

Dave
#54966 by joshhuggins
Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:46 pm
An Oooolllllldddddd wish is that we could undo a GTV deletion. Dang twitchy finger. :x
#54967 by David A. Giesselman
Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:15 pm
joshhuggins wrote:An Oooolllllldddddd wish is that we could undo a GTV deletion. Dang twitchy finger. :x

How about, like Windoze, I just add a whole series of confirmation dialogs:

Are you sure?

Are you really sure?

Are you really,really sure 'cause there ain't no going back after this?

LAST CHANCE?

Dave
#54968 by Roger D
Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:18 pm
lets see, open the backup file that has the gtv, then import the current file's layers all into the backup so you'll get all the new updated info.
Just a thought, or is it a brain f...t.
#54969 by Roger D
Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:19 pm
David A. Giesselman wrote:LAST CHANCE?Dave

And then the sound of a toilet flushing the item down the drain.
#54970 by joshhuggins
Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:14 pm
Roger D wrote:lets see, open the backup file that has the gtv, then import the current file's layers all into the backup so you'll get all the new updated info.
Just a thought, or is it a brain f...t.
Unless you have made updates to GTVs in current file. A dialog is obviously over kill. It's not a big deal, it's just nice to be able to undo when one makes a mistake, which I tend to do, often. Shocking I know, I blame my coffee shakes :roll: On a side note, I disable my windows file deletion popup cause it goes to the recycle bin and can always undo that if I need to. :wink:
#54971 by David A. Giesselman
Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:18 pm
joshhuggins wrote:... A dialog is obviously over kill.

I trust that you realize my reply was made tongue-in-cheek. ;)

Dave
#55097 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:41 am
David A. Giesselman wrote:I trust that you realize my reply was made tongue-in-cheek. ;)
Hey what you do with your tongue and cheek off the forum is none of my business! :lol:
#55109 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:18 pm
:idea: Would be cool if the Linetype menus had implied match for things like Change, Linetype, (Implied Match) or Change, Spacing, Mask, Linetype, (Implied Match).
#55201 by Steve Baldwin
Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:29 pm
David A. Giesselman wrote:How about, like Windoze, I just add a whole series of confirmation dialogs:

Are you sure?

Are you really sure?

Are you really,really sure 'cause there ain't no going back after this?

LAST CHANCE?

I sure could have used this series of warnings about a month ago when I accidentally deleted one of my
webmail folders ... with over a year of accumulation in it that I would have PREFERRED to keep.
#55292 by joshhuggins
Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:30 pm
(~~ rubs lamp ~~)
Could we get a way to override saved GTV (MSP too?) scales when batch plotting? Could maybe be an override check box in the batch plot dialog to use the current plot scale, a drop down in the batch plot dialog to select an override scale from the current scale list or a button in the print menu to toggle between using the current plot scale and the GTV saved scales. I don't trust our users to edit the ini file to change the value of
[General]
Save Current Plot Scale With View=TRUE

plus it a bit cumbersome when you have big drawings open. I would vote for an override check box or drop down in the batch plot dialog box to use the current plot scale if possible. Thanks :mrgreen: