What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?

Which is your favorite idea?

25%
16%
8%
44%
7%
#35337 by joshhuggins
Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:20 pm
joshhuggins wrote:I know this one has been brought up before, and I'm sure there is a good reason for not being implemented as it would be most handy, but it was not in my list so I figured I'd give it a little bump and a home here in my wishlist deluxe. So without further adieu...

[fanfare]
:arrow: F5 Stretch, F5 Mask
[/fanfare]
Thx :mrgreen:
Woohoo done for v.12!
Last edited by joshhuggins on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#35338 by Dick Eades
Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:28 pm
Could be useful, but not as useful as a Dynamic Stretch.

Since, in a stretch operation, we're just moving endpoints, how would that be harder to implement than Move/Drag where we're moving entire elements?

Just like Move, pick Stretch/Dynamic (or Drag), pick the endpoints by point or box (with or without Mask), pick the point to drag from and the point to drag to. Done.
#35339 by Tony Blasio
Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:32 pm
Dick Eades wrote:Could be useful, but not as useful as a Dynamic Stretch.

Since, in a stretch operation, we're just moving endpoints, how would that be harder to implement than Move/Drag where we're moving entire elements?

Just like Move, pick Stretch/Dynamic (or Drag), pick the endpoints by point or box (with or without Mask), pick the point to drag from and the point to drag to. Done.

Amen! I would luv to have a Dynamic Stretch. This would be so useful. I'll second the motion. All in favor say Yea! :!:
#35340 by Dick Eades
Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:36 pm
I wish we could redefine a symbol on the hard drive via Ctrl+right click.

You have my complete support on this one. The current SaveAs doesn't even supply us with the current symbol name and sometimes figuring out which one you want to write to the HD is difficult.

While we're at it I have another beef. Ctrl+right click and selecting "open in Symbol Browser" will bring you to the right folder where the symbol resides but it won't point you to which symbol in that folder is the match for the one you selected. Sometimes I have many similar symbols in a folder and it is critical to know which one I am targeting. A highlight here would be most helpful.
#35343 by joshhuggins
Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:55 pm
How about that super handy 1/2 distance in the offset menu? Been getting lots of use out of that in the other menus, thanks.
#35344 by Dick Eades
Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:01 pm
How about that super handy 1/2 distance in the offset menu? Been getting lots of use out of that in the other menus, thanks.

Yeah, but. What happens when you select Halve Dist and later want to return to the original distance?

Answer: you can't get back there from where you are. You have to re-enter the distance because the halved distance is remembered even when you select Prev Dist when you return to the command.
#35345 by joshhuggins
Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:34 pm
Dick Eades wrote:Answer: you can't get back there from where you are. You have to re-enter the distance because the halved distance is remembered even when you select Prev Dist when you return to the command.
That's pretty much the way it is now in the move command. It would be nice if the we had an ini option so that the 1/2ed distance was not remembered as I would guess the 1/2ed items would happen less and usually towards the end of a task on a few select items.

Just thinking out loud here, you could add a 2x Distance button but that would take up another valuable slot in the menu. Or what if the 1/2 distance was a toggle that would toggle between to 1/2 dist & 2x dist of the current distance instead of halving the distance over and over every time the button is pressed? This would work good using the above mentioned ini setting where the original distance is remembered. The button would be come a on the fly multiplier not a distance replacement as it is now. Actually would probably need to be a three way toggle button; Orig. Dist, 1/2 Dist & 2x Dist. I really like the sound of this.... Other thoughts?
#35349 by joshhuggins
Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:33 pm
I don't know if this already exists, but it would be nice if Paratext did not group each Paratext item created while in the Paratext menu. Maybe a group toggle in the Paratext menu and an extended codes or just a ini option.
#35351 by Dick Eades
Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:41 pm
While we're on Paratext, how about an option to convert existing text strings to Paratext?
#35353 by joshhuggins
Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:53 am
It would be handy if when using Cal. Dist. that it would also set the Line Factor scale to match the X & Y factors which are set based on the Calc. If using only Cal. X and Y, Cal. X or Cal. Y by themselves then it makes sense not to adjust the line factor. When I'm scaling and entire selection via Cal. Dist, 95% of the time I want the line factor to scale along with everything else. Maybe and ini toggle in case there are people who prefer it as is. But they are just crazy like that. :twisted:
#35363 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:52 pm
Tony Blasio wrote:...I would luv to have a Dynamic Stretch. This would be so useful. I'll second the motion. All in favor say Yea! :!:

I'll third this request. It's gona be so much useful.

joshhuggins wrote:Just thinking out loud here, you could add a 2x Distance button...

This is a nice solution for the issue of returning to last distance.

Have my support for it.

Thanks,
Miguel
#35478 by joshhuggins
Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:08 pm
Ahhhhhhh Poof :!: What if the handy dandy Ctrl/Shift flip/flop features worked in the move and copy menus? I just instinctually tried to do this and thought 'ah this would be nice'.
#35479 by Jon C. Hubart
Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:22 pm
joshhuggins wrote:Ahhhhhhh Poof :!: What if the handy dandy Ctrl/Shift flip/flop features worked in the move and copy menus? I just instinctually tried to do this and thought 'ah this would be nice'.

If you use the clipboard cut/copy/paste it is already there. With move/copy it would be cool to add this to the drag routines.
#35488 by joshhuggins
Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:42 pm
Jon C. Hubart wrote:...With move/copy it would be cool to add this to the drag routines.
Ah yes, with drag is what I forgot to add, thanks Jon.
#35499 by joshhuggins
Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:45 pm
How about a find box / drop down for the PText and MText dialogs with a next/previous button? The drop down part would enable recalling the last say 10 searches.

Also Ctrl+B, Ctrl+I, Ctrl+U, and I guess Ctrl+O shortcut keys in the MText dialog?