What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?

Which is your favorite idea?

25%
16%
8%
44%
7%
#38729 by joshhuggins
Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:11 pm
It would be cool if there was a way to have the DimStyle options be relative to the dim text size like the tick marks are.
#38741 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:35 am
joshhuggins wrote:It would be cool if there was a way to have the DimStyle options be relative to the dim text size like the tick marks are.

Hi Cousin,

Can you please elaborate a bit more on this ?
I'd like to see improvements on this area, as well.

IMHO, we are in the middle of the trail, since currently dimStyle options are already indirectely related to text when you have set ON for TextScale, but they are not aware of PlotScale, as some other features behave on the GTV handling context.

Yes, this could receive a lot of enhancements to increase automation for the detailing phase.

Thanks,
Miguel
#38743 by joshhuggins
Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:04 am
Basicly right now when you change the text size for dimensions, the tick marks change in size also because they are realitive to the text size. But the offset, overrun, etc. do not resize at all accordingly making the size relationship between the dims not match. At least in our office we want the dimensions to have the same look accross all scales. We currently have most of our dimstyles saved and ready to call via toolbar buttons, but it just seems like having all of the dims values be relitive to the text size would add a level of standardization or at least help in making quck custom changes to stadardized dimstyles when needed. I think most people would want everything one way or the other. If you want to set everything by setting an actual size for each option then that would be one value for say an ini option. Want to just set the text size and have everything set relitive, swap the ini value. Does that make sense? Might not as I've been up all night at the hospital. Sitting here watching my wife have contractions. Daniel Logan should be here in the next few hours. So glad I have a laptop this time. 18 hours is a long time to have your wife look at you like shes going to kill you. jk :wink:
Last edited by joshhuggins on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#38744 by Bruce111
Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:24 am
Congratulations Josh.:D
Get used to having sleepless nights. :wink:
#38755 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:36 pm
joshhuggins wrote:...Does that make sense? Might not as I've been up all night at the hospital. Sitting here watching my wife have contractions
...18 hours is a long time to have your wife look at you like shes going to kill you. jk :wink:

Sorry, Josh, :oops: for extending your double-journey. Hope the result of your overnight brings a nice surprise while increasing family. :D

joshhuggins wrote:...but it just seems like having all of the dims values be relitive to the text size would add a level of standardization or at least help in making quck custom changes to stadardized dimstyles when needed. I think most people would want everything one way or the other. If you want to set everything by setting an actual size for each option then that would be one value for say an ini option. Want to just set the text size and have everything set relitive, swap the ini value.

Absolutely!
It might be a GTV'like feature, which would relate DimStyle to Plotting Scale and each Text Size would be driven by enhanced Text Styles.

Nice things to think, of course!

Thanks,
Miguel
#38775 by Matt Nelson
Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:09 am
Would it be possible to toggle the clip cube while in the layer menus?

For instance, I might select an "active only" layer, only to realize it is outside of my clipping area. Currently I would first have to right click in order to toggle the clip cube off using the "Enable(On) or Disable (Off) clip cube" toolbar button.

Thanks!

Matt
#39381 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:11 pm
It would be nice if when we Ctrl+Right Click on a symbol and choose Symbol Tools, (Edit) Replace, we could pick a symbol not yet in the drawing from a file dialog. Either by adding a breadcrumb arrow to the Ctrl+Right click menu for "From Drawing" and "From Folder" or something similar or in the Datacad (Edit) Replace menu.
#39447 by joshhuggins
Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:59 pm
As a "work-around" to this wish, if we could Identify a symbol and have a "To Drawing" option or something similar to insert the path+name of the symbol would be very handy. Maybe since there are may different fields available when we identify an object we could click To Drawing, then click the field we would like to insert as text.
#39477 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:22 pm
Until the mythical Smart Arrows make their debut, how about adding two offset items to the current arrows. Head Offset and Tail Offset. We could set values for these that would subtract the distance input from the first and last snap points. Should probably be a ratio to the text size to make them play nice across the board. Whatcha think?
#39478 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:03 pm
Hi Josh,

I'm not clear what the offsets would be -- maybe you could illustrate it?

Or, maybe we'll get smart arrows soon? Domenic in our office (who recently joined us, and most recently was using AutoCAD) asked about them this very morning!
#39479 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:41 pm
It would basically allow you to snap directly to objects (mainly text) using arrows without the need to manually erase or trim away parts of the arrow which overlap or are too close to the object you are snapping to. In my example below the tail of the arrow is too close to the letter D. We always have to either just fake in the arrows which is not very clean looking, or snap directly to the objects, and then clean away a space. We do this for 90% of our arrows. If the "gap" could be automatically added by subtracting a ratio from the first and last snap points of the arrows input, would save us a TON of cleanup time. For our office we would probably set just an offset for our tails and leave the heads set to 0 for our standard. But as I was creating the example below, I thought if I had the head offset set I bet the arrows calling out the white snap points would look better if they were offset a bit away from what they are pointing to. I would guess the head offset would be the least used of the two, but still very handy when needed.
Arrow Head & Tails Offset
#39515 by joshhuggins
Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:35 pm
It would be nice if we had an ini option so that when we have ortho toggled on, when we scroll using the mouse wheel during a operation like setting a Move distance, the zoom point is not at the end point of the ortho drag, but centered on the cross hair center point as it does not zoom as it does when outside ortho enabled commands. It seems less intuitive as it is now.
#39516 by joshhuggins
Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:02 pm
It would be nice if in the Purge dialog when we select a GTV to be included in the purge, that it would not keep us from deselecting layers. I have a file I wanted to purge to remove a bad layer, but I also wanted to keep all the GTV's, but couldn't just deselect the single bad layer. I think if you select a GTV it should set all of the layers to be included, but If you remove a layer which may be included in a GTV, it should not uncheck the GTV? What do others think about how this should be handled? I just can see coming across this situation above again and hope there could be a way to do it. Is there already?
#39536 by joshhuggins
Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:35 am
Could we get one of the following options so we can control the Fast Symbol, Fast 3D, Quick and SelSet options under the More Options in the Object snapping menu in macros please? Fast Symbol seems to catch us off guard the most around here.
:arrow: Idea 1: Make the Object Snap None option also turn off the More Option snaps. This might make the most sense since they are also snapping options, and when setting your snapping via a macro now this is used to clear the current settings.
:arrow: Idea 2: Add function codes for each object snap option.