What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?

Which is your favorite idea?

25%
16%
8%
44%
7%
#27446 by joshhuggins
Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:10 pm
It would be nice if when we open the folder option from the symbol browser, that our current folder is selected so the scroll wheel works without having to select something first.
#27449 by Ben at TJB Architects
Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:43 pm
Oh, goodness, yes...
Also, be nice if the buttons on the side of the Intellimouse would make folders go backwards and forwards in the Open File dialog like it does in a Windows folder.
#27467 by artmanvt2000
Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:22 am
Josh,
I really like the idea of the Symbols Folder being "smart" and remembering the last four folders opened. I too find myself switching between only a couple of folders very frequently.
#27532 by Dick Eades
Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:14 am
I would like to see this, too. Once I actually set up a folder with my most used symbols from several different collections, but that's not a convenient workaround because it creates different copies of the symbols and it gets messy redefining and reloading. This is one place where the old Template system could group symbols from different folders but it just doesn't work as well with the new system.
#27534 by artmanvt2000
Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:59 am
Well, you can always use the old Templates format with the current symbols browsers. This would eliminate the duplication of Symbol Files.
#27537 by Jon C. Hubart
Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:18 pm
This may or may not help, but I have all of my most common symbol directories listed in toolbar pulldown menus. This way anything I use frequently is close at hand.
The pulldowns are organized based on our drawings numbering system.
000 - General, 100 - Plans, 200 - Elevations, etc.
#27539 by artmanvt2000
Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:28 pm
Hey that is a really cool (or should I say kewl) idea.
#27540 by joshhuggins
Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:39 pm
Yeah drop down toolbars do help out a whole lot. In the situation which prompted this wish I was having to switch back and forth between folders which I don't use often and which were not in my dropdown. It's like a sea of folders in there sometimes :? but when we are in those deep dark places we do a lot of jumping around between a few unique and often well separated folders which the is where a recent folder list would be peachy keen. You know, someday when all the big bugs are squashed. Like when Mr. G is working on vacation again in 2010. He just wouldn't unplug. Poor guy :cry: :wink:
Last edited by joshhuggins on Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
#27584 by Dick Eades
Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:04 am
This may or may not help, but I have all of my most common symbol directories listed in toolbar pulldown menus. This way anything I use frequently is close at hand.

I have something similar to that started but I haven't taken it far enough. I need to expand it to the next level.
#27600 by joshhuggins
Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:24 pm
I wish, I wish.... that in the Object Snap menu that F6 was a three way toggle. Off, Quadrant, & Octant. I often need snapping on curves at 45* for "stuff".
Last edited by joshhuggins on Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
#27671 by joshhuggins
Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:11 am
It would be nice if when using single line text with Center, Right, Middle or Top alignments that the text would type out (display) correctly when typing it, rather than when the text string is complete. Makes trying to type within limits and other alignments very hard.

Second wish, allow the first line of text to be a return. As of right now we can not start a line of text and just hit return to allow for correct spacing for the next line of text. Thanks. :D
#27675 by joshhuggins
Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:51 pm
It would be very nice if we could import a layer set and be able to add a prefix or suffix to the layer names. This could save a lot of time creating custom layer groups which are based on a standard groups of layers.
#28350 by joshhuggins
Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:19 pm
It would be handy if when we go to edit a clipcube, if it's currently using a polyline clipcube, that it would already have F0 Polyline selected when entering the edit menu.

It also would be handy to be able to move an xclip independently of it's xref. Say you've preformed a complicated clip on an xref and the data being xref has been relocated in the original file, you have to recreate that complicated clip again now. If there was a way in the edit menu to move the clip and have it update the clips x/y/z point data by the selected amount would be great. Often being able to use a previous move distance would be ideal. Maybe it should be done in the regular Move menu as a toggle-able option, and in the mask menus?