What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?

Which is your favorite idea?

25%
16%
8%
44%
7%
#32278 by joshhuggins
Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:29 pm
It would be nice if when each drawing is opened or force saved a preview image would be created in the temp folder. Then when we Ctrl+Tab to switch between multiple drawings, if we could Ctrl+Tab like we can now to switch between open files and have these preview images cycle instead of having to redraw each file on the screen, would really be helpful. A good example of this idea would be the Alt+Tab previews in Vista (not the Windows+Tab Flip 3D junk) and to a lesser extent the TaskSwitchXP Application. My thinking behind this is mainly when you have huge drawings open in datacad at the same time you almost don't want to use Ctrl+Tab to switch between drawings because of the slow regens of each large file you may have open. This is not an issue on smaller simple files but really can slow down your work flow on large complex projects. With the probability of complex entities and views starting to become the norm over the next few years with smart entities, I think if something like this could be implemented would be a welcome enhancement for sure. Maybe an ini option to have the preview images loaded into memory for faster Ctrl+Tabbing if running from the temp folder is too slow? Also when you start a new Ctrl+Tab, the preview image of the current file you are "leaving" would then be updated. Just bouncing an idea around. :idea:
#32282 by Brian Engebretson
Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:27 pm
I like that idea. I would even be happy if just a list of the open drawing names popped up. CTRL+TAB to move down the list, then when you release CTRL+TAB, it opens the drawing you have highlighted. Essentially just a hot key for the “window” drop down menu.
#32284 by joshhuggins
Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:18 pm
I thought about just a list too because it would be faster, but I think file names issues and long paths would often leave you guessing. With a preview along with the file name and path would be primo I think, as long as it was snappy to use.
#32288 by Miguel Palaoro
Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:22 am
It's nice an improvement like this.

It might follow the general idea behind the private clipboards with an optional selection among all open drawings.

Have my full support for it.
#33172 by joshhuggins
Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:26 pm
If an xref has nothing to display, it displays the little "x" at absolute zero. But when there is something to display and the little "x" disappears, it would be very nice if xrefs were NOT selected when a selection area includes absolute zero, but doesn't actually cross anything the xref is displaying. If only the "x" is showing or the extents of the xref are within the selection area or crossed with crossing, then yes this makes sense to apply the edit. Maybe having an S3 Object Snap, S6 More Options, F5 Abs. Xrefs would work?
Fixed.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#33174 by David A. Giesselman
Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:47 pm
Hi Josh:

Actually, that little 'x' is the XRef's idea of where its absolute zero is and will coincide with absolute zero of your current drawing if the XRef was placed by hitting AbsZero.

However, having said that, I am unable to reproduce the problem you describe of selecting an XRef only by its absolute zero point.

Dave
#33177 by joshhuggins
Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:03 pm
It seems to only be when using Area, Crossing, which seems to make more sense now. I think I'm just seeing it more now with our new more xref-centric base files which are aligned at absolute zero across the board. So I guess the wish would be a way to do a selection with crossing, to not include an xref by it's absolute zero point, unless it's displaying the little orphan 'x', An xref being selected with crossing because of entity points contain within the xref are working great by the way. Thanks.
Fixed.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#33179 by David A. Giesselman
Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:16 pm
I still can't select an XRef by its abs. zero point whether it's displayer or not. Could you email me an example file that illustrates this?
#33180 by Tony Blasio
Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:23 pm
I have been able to do it when I have renamed layers in the file that is XREF'd and it causes all layers to be off in the XREF manager for that specific XREF. All that is left on the screen is the little x at the absolute zero of the XREF. In those cases I am able to double click on the little x and the Reference File manager Opens.

At least I could do this a few updates back, haven't run into this since.
#33181 by joshhuggins
Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:58 pm
Tony Blasio wrote:I have been able to do it when I have renamed layers in the file that is XREF'd and it causes all layers to be off in the XREF manager for that specific XREF. All that is left on the screen is the little x at the absolute zero of the XREF. In those cases I am able to double click on the little x and the Reference File manager Opens.

At least I could do this a few updates back, haven't run into this since.
I did do this for these xrefs. They make up our border sheets. I'll send the files in Dave, thanks.
#33345 by joshhuggins
Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:22 am
Could really use an extended character codes to turn Fixed Reference Point off.
#33347 by joshhuggins
Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:29 pm
Done for version 12!
It would also be nice if the Hatch / Polyline properties dialog box had drop downs for the Hatching options.
:arrow: Dropdown: Outline/No Outline
:arrow: Check Boxes: Lock Origin/Angle/Scale
Last edited by joshhuggins on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#33348 by Tony Blasio
Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:15 pm
joshhuggins wrote:It would also be nice if the Hatch / Polyline properties dialog box had drop downs for the Hatching options.
:arrow: Dropdown: Normal/Outermost/Ignore
:arrow: Dropdown: Outline/No Outline
:arrow: Check Boxes: Lock Origin/Angle/Scale

Yes please. I think several entities could use some Properties Dialogue enhancements just like the above.

I would like to see Dimstyle and Arrowstyle settings in Dimension Properties and z-height settings for slabs too. :idea:
#33356 by joshhuggins
Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:57 pm
Done! See Tony's reply below.
It would also be handy if we had an ini option
Code: Select all[General]
MultipleRemembersStatus=FALSE
So the Multiple toggles are not sticky like the AndCopy options.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#33363 by Tony Blasio
Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:10 am
joshhuggins wrote:It would also be handy if we had an ini option
Code: Select all[General]
MultipleRemembersStatus=FALSE
So the Multiple toggles are not sticky like the AndCopy options.

We do. Add the line:
MultiRemembersStatus=FALSE

to the General Section and you will be all set.