What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#55460 by juve
Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:00 pm
Hi, all

Here's a feature I would like to see if not already considered or implemented.

The ability to "Hide" an Entity/Symbol/Text/ect.

Have found yourself needing to get rid of old notations or entities? instead of deleting/moving to a "Not-Used" layer, why not just "Hide" or a "Visible" "Not Visible" feature like in Graphics Software but in this case it will be on a per entity/group/text/etc. basis.

img.04-10-2011 15.46.14.jpg
img.04-10-2011 15.46.14.jpg (30.82 KiB) Viewed 9780 times

Let me know your feedback

Thanks.
#55461 by David A. Giesselman
Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:21 pm
I understand and like the idea, but how do you propose to un-hide it? If it ain't there, how do you select it to un-hide?

Dave
#55462 by juve
Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:34 pm
HI, David

Thanks for your reply

The Check mark will trigger wether the entity will hide or show.

I'm pretty sure you can come out with a better idea on how to handle that option

(you had me thinking there for a minute)

Was that the right answer? :D
#55464 by ROBERT PENN
Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:51 pm
David A. Giesselman wrote:I understand and like the idea, but how do you propose to un-hide it? If it ain't there, how do you select it to un-hide?

Dave

I suspect what Juve is suggesting is not so much a "hide", but a "print"? You could pick the item to print or not to print, but it will always be visible on the screen regardless.

Might be good for text if you just want a user "prompting or reminding" text, but don't want it to print on the actual drawing.
#55465 by juve
Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:59 pm
Robert you just took it to a whole new level.

My idea was just to facilitate working with the current project, not necessarily printing.

here's the scenario: you're updating on an old drawing with current code notes, you don't want to delete the old notes but rather "Hide" instead of moving them to another layer which we will call "Not used". in the layer "Not used" you are going to end up with notes from many other layers like mechanical, floor plan, etc. so the intention is to "retain" all layers, create "new" layers with "new" notes. just in case someone decides they will allow you to resubmit under old codes you can just "unhide" old entities/texts/ect. and "hide" your new notes/entities/etc.

just think of it as a graphics software. I know a graphic software that for every "entity" it will create its own layer which you will "hide" or "show" as you work on your project, this will not be feasible with a CAD drawing as we'll end up with tons of layers, hence the "hide" and "unhide" on a per entity/group/symbol, etc. basis on the same layer.

I hope I'm making sense. if we take it a step further as you mention, then that will have a different benefit.
#55466 by juve
Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:06 am
To David

as with graphics you can have an option to show hidden entities/symbols/texts/etc. (maybe same approach as "mask") in the current/per layer basis.

I think this leaves room for creativity on the toolbars or layer manager, or....
#55467 by joshhuggins
Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:08 am
For what you are doing Juve, we would create a new job file and then xref in the old info with a highlight set to a non-printing color. That way the old job file stays as it was safe and sound and we can work forward freely knowing that the original is safe. You can then even perform a hide on the xref if needed as you have shown in your example.
#55476 by juve
Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:01 am
HI josh

I don't use Xrefs a lot. I only use selfxref when needed. my goal is to keep just one file/drawing

being able to have this feature on a per entity/etc. basis within the current drawing will help a lot.

this feature may not/or could be a benefit to a full architectural firm, but in our case where we are constantly changing and going back to old drawings, it will help immensely.
#55485 by Michael Olney
Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:11 pm
What about if there were an option (maybe in Settings or Program Preferences" to show hidden entities/lines. This wouldn't "unhide" them, just display them and make them selectable. Maybe hidden lines could be a lighter-dashed line or maybe there could be an option to specify how we want the hidden lines displayed.

One example that I can think of for this is hidden edges of slabs and polylines. Currently, when I hide an edge and then want to add vertices to the hidden edge, I can't select the hidden edge. I have to unhide it, make the change, and then hide everything again. With this, I could make the necessary changes to the hidden edge without needing to unhide it first.