What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#56126 by Mark Wilhelm
Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:01 pm
I've been really enjoying the text enhancements that are available through the Properties dialog - particularly underlining. I find it unfortunate that we can't get to them any other way. I know much can be done with Mtext, but I don't like being restricted to Windows fonts. So here is what I'd like to see:
1) Enhancements (under- and over-lining) available in the Text Menu.
2) Enhancements available for symbol attributes. I'd like automatic underlining for room names in my room tags, but there does not seem to be a way.
3) Ability to enhance individual words or characters in a text string - not Mtext, but in Ptext as well as plain old Text. That would include underlining, bold and italics.
#56133 by David A. Giesselman
Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:12 pm
Mark Wilhelm wrote:... 3) Ability to enhance individual words or characters in a text string - not Mtext, but in Ptext as well as plain old Text. That would include underlining, bold and italics.

Is this supported in Acad?
#56145 by Mark Wilhelm
Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:49 am
I believe Acrud uses some kind of flag character in text strings to start text enhancements, though I don't know enough about it. What I do know is that I often get text translated from AC with odd "%%" characters which I believe might be the flag. In any event, I don't much care whether those guys support it or not. Usually, when I send my drawings to engineers they don't want to see the text, only the line work. So I would think your translator - AC to DC - could simply strip out whatever in the database identifies the enhancement, and nobody would miss them. Anyway, the ability to enhance characters or words within a text string is a lot less important to me than expanding the enhancement of whole text strings, including symbol attribute text. It would be sweet to have, but . . .
#56147 by Tony Blasio
Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:38 am
Yes, I do remember this now. %%U at the start of a regular text entry meant underline for example. There were a few others but I don't think I used them enough to recall them now. It has been about 17-years since I used Acad.
#56148 by MtnArch
Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:06 am
Now that I think about it, I think it was %%U to start the underline and %%u to end it; if I remember right %%I was to italicize, too.

Ahhh ... the old days of having to have a cheat sheet laying around!
#56149 by Mark Wilhelm
Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:09 am
I just remembered another part of this. I'd love to see the Change Text menu include underline, and other text enhancements. Actually, underline is the only text enhancement I really want. Overline isn't much use, bold can be a color/pen attribute, italic can be done with slant.

One other thing: in Para Text, I'd like to have tabs, ideally user managed, so numbered lists and other such can be created with the text indented, and so that columns could be set up for tables.
#56150 by joshhuggins
Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:45 am
Yeah and then importing those files into Datacad was a big mess with their % everywhere. :x
#56346 by Tony Blasio
Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:35 pm
Mark Wilhelm wrote:One other thing: in Para Text, I'd like to have tabs, ideally user managed, so numbered lists and other such can be created with the text indented, and so that columns could be set up for tables.

Yes!! I would love to have tabs & indents. Right now I use 2 PTEXT entities side by side. One for numbers and the other for notes.
#56348 by Roger D
Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:25 pm
yes, tabs/indents would be nice.
That is why I currently compose my notes in excel and then paste into datacad.
why excel and not word you may wonder? :?
1. It keeps the notes in columns
2. In Word I can only grab 1 page at a time, In excel I can grab a whole page length at a time.