What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#57478 by Mark Bell
Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:32 am
I had a presentation due recently where I had to include multiple shadow analysis drawings and wanted to show the building in context using a Google Earth JPG image of the site locality. I was able to change the background to the image, but was unable to get it to the right size to match the building. Shadows also weren't cast onto the image. I then tried applying the image to the base but that didn't work.

Wishlist - allow ShaderNX the ability to import a background image (photo/Google Earth image etc.) and place it under the building AND allow shadows to be cast onto it. The trick will be how to scale the image relative to the model so they are close enough to be accurate.
#57649 by pjdixit
Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:02 am
Mark Bell wrote:I had a presentation due recently where I had to include multiple shadow analysis drawings and wanted to show the building in context using a Google Earth JPG image of the site locality. I was able to change the background to the image, but was unable to get it to the right size to match the building. Shadows also weren't cast onto the image. I then tried applying the image to the base but that didn't work.

Wishlist - allow ShaderNX the ability to import a background image (photo/Google Earth image etc.) and place it under the building AND allow shadows to be cast onto it. The trick will be how to scale the image relative to the model so they are close enough to be accurate.

You can create a new material in DataCAD's Edit Material Dialog box with texture set to the image you want to use for ground plane. You can set the required scale for the texture. Save this material file then launch ShaderNX and go to ShaderNX Options->Ground Plane->Material and pick the material file you created in the previous step.

You might have to find the right scale for the material file by trial and error method.
Attachments
Image0.jpg
Image0.jpg (128.77 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
#57650 by Mark Bell
Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:29 pm
Hi Prasad,

I did apply the method you wrote about originally but it was too time consuming going backwards and forwards adjusting the scale to get what was needed. The wishlist would be to add a scalable background image in SNX that could quickly be adjusted to match the model. Thanks.