What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#57974 by brucee
Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:17 pm
I would love to see a 'Working Directory' option added to the 'open file' dialog box that would allow me to set the current file folder as the 'working directory'. This option would establish my current project file folder as the default folder for functions like: 'file save as'; 'save as *.pdf' from the plot menu; 'insert xref'; 'insert bmp file'; 'open file'; etc. This option could be a 'checkbox' in the 'open file dialog.

An example of its use would be the following (which happens to me all the time): I'm working predominately on a project but have to get a revised drawing to a different client. After I open the new file in the new file folder; I have to insert a new xref and the 'insert xref' folder opens to the last folder opened in DataCad (the main project I am working on). Now I have to go up a level (or more), select the current project file folder (or sub-folder) and insert. Then I make a new *.pdf , but the Save As option is defaulting to the folder from the main project as well (since that is the last place I saved to) and I have to go through the same process again. Now, as soon as I go back to my main project, as soon as I do a Save As (for *.pdf, working file, or any other action) I have to run through the file directory again to get back to the primary project file folder.

With 'Working Directory' I could run to the secondary project, take care of the work, and get back to work in the primary project without having to go through all the extra steps of saving and opening files to the correct project folder (back and forth).

You could also make this a command from an open drawing file so that if you leave a drawing file, and then come back to it while it is still open, DataCad would establish the 'Working Directory' on the fly.

Thanks for your consideration. Keep up the great work with this great program.

Bruce Everetts
Taylor Architects Inc.
Datacad 14