What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#58019 by Bruce111
Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:27 am
When working in 2D I tend to construct lines to mirror copy object ( as in the attached picture). I then delete these lines after use. I was wondering if within the mirror command options, we could have a mirror between two points. Therefore I just snap to two point and the mirror line is formed mid way between these points. (noted on attached picture as snap 1 and snap 2) This would save drawing the construction lines and then deleting them.
Attachments
Mirror lines.png
Mirror lines.png (52.36 KiB) Viewed 17302 times
#58022 by MtnArch
Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:24 am
Nice suggestion, Bruce - I'll second it!!
#58023 by joshhuggins
Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:50 am
It's funny how something so simple, yet is such a great idea, can get overlooked for years by so many eyes. Great idea Bruce, gets a big thumbs up here!
#58025 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:00 pm
If I'm reading this right, couldn't you just snap to the 2 points you indicated and then use the Add90Ctr function?

Dave
#58026 by joshhuggins
Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:03 pm
:oops: Well, duh if we could read. This is why you are the master.
#58028 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:47 pm
joshhuggins wrote::oops: Well, duh if we could read. This is why you are the master.

Well in all fairness, you guys do make it tough to try and stay a step or 2 ahead of ya! 8)

Dave
#58030 by MtnArch
Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:12 pm
Okay ... trying to 2-step here for Mr. G. ... how about when we want to - say - the mirror line to be horizontal but the two end points are NOT in line vertically? Right now the Add90Ctr seems to make the mirror line perpendicular to the two points selected (I know ... DUH - it says 90!!).
#58033 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:16 pm
MtnArch wrote:Okay ... trying to 2-step here for Mr. G. ... how about when we want to - say - the mirror line to be horizontal but the two end points are NOT in line vertically?

AllrightyThen Alan, Mr. SmartGuy! Lemme add an option to restrict the Mirror line to 37°-68'-11", tangent to the intersection of an arc and ellipse as well. :mrgreen:

Seriously, would an option to rotate the line of reflection to a user-specified angle about its midpoint and/or endpoints suffice?

You guys are killin' me! :?
Dave
#58035 by MtnArch
Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:09 pm
David A. Giesselman wrote:Lemme add an option to restrict the Mirror line to 37°-68'-11", tangent to the intersection of an arc and ellipse as well. :mrgreen:

Well, if that's the best ya can do!! :twisted:

David A. Giesselman wrote:Seriously, would an option to rotate the line of reflection to a user-specified angle about its midpoint and/or endpoints suffice?

Oooo ... now we're talkin'! That would be suh-WEET!!

David A. Giesselman wrote:You guys are killin' me! :?
Dave

I tend to think of it as helping you GROW and EXPAND your knowledge and coding prowess ... :wink:

Alan "Mr. SmartGuy"
#58036 by Bruce111
Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:20 am
In my example above, if I wanted to mirror from the end point I would simply use the existing mirror tool and draw my reflection line. I am not sure why you would alter the line of reflection from perpendicular in relation too the initial snapped end points. (Perhaps I misunderstand or others use this in more advanced operations than I do here)

David A. Giesselman wrote:
Seriously, would an option to rotate the line of reflection to a user-specified angle about its midpoint and/or endpoints suffice?

If the angle of reflection between two points could be anchored to 90 degrees without any further key pressing and if others want to adjust this to suite via a further option, then this would be good.

When setting the second point it might be handy to be able to toggle on ortho so that the second snap point only need to be somewhere above or below the actual horizontal or vertical snap point. I hope that make sense.
#58037 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:26 am
Bruce,

The other option that is in the Mirror menu is to Rotate 90 Degrees from the first snap point. So you can rotate the mirror line 90 degrees either from the midpoint of the initial mirror line or the first snap point of the initial mirror line.

Are you asking to have the option to rotate it 270 degrees as well as 90 degrees?
#58038 by Paul Nida
Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:56 am
Dave, I think you should set DCAD up to read my mind so that it already knows where I want to mirror about and what I want to mirror and even whether or not I want to mirror and copy. This would save me a lot of time.
#58039 by Bruce111
Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:42 am
Some times I want to mirror an object, lets say for example a chimney stack at the apex of a roof from the South elevation to a North elevation this happens quite regularly either at initial design stage or when amending drawings. I enter the mirror function ( not the mirror / previous option) and would like an additional button option below the “F1 Entity” option ( possibly on F2) that inserts a reflected mirror line perpendicular and centrally between two snapped points. I dont think this option exists.

Currently I draw construction lines that are shown in green on the first posting and snap to the center point of the longest green line and draw the vertical reflected mirror line. I was trying to eliminate the drawing and further erasing of the construction lines to form the unknown mid reflected line.

Does that make sense? If not I am going for a cold beer and a lie down.
Attachments
Mirror.png
Mirror.png (10.61 KiB) Viewed 17214 times
#58040 by Bruce111
Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:45 am
David A. Giesselman wrote:If I'm reading this right, couldn't you just snap to the 2 points you indicated and then use the Add90Ctr function?

Dave

Yes :oops: