What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#59920 by jimgoodman
Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:57 pm
As we use symbols more and more to develop our drawings, there are two minor features that would be really helpful:

1. A way that symbols can be automatically updated (reloaded) when a drawing is opened. I see this working the same way XRefs are updated when a drawing is opened. Since there are situations where this is not desirable, so perhaps this is a per-symbol setting, similar to lock scale, fix text, etc.

2. When replacing symbols it would be helpful if the symbol name could be displayed in the information toolbar, the way it works when using the identify command.

Thanks and Happy Friday
#59921 by MtnArch
Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:07 pm
Jim -

Probably a dumb question (been accused of much worse), but could you use an xref instead of a symbol - insert your symbol into a blank drawing, explode it, save it as an AEC and insert as an xref?

I do like your wishlist for #2 - that would be very helpful!!
#59924 by joshhuggins
Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:34 am
#59932 by joshhuggins
Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:45 pm
#59941 by jimgoodman
Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:22 pm
That would be the idea - much like reference files work currently. The ability to control this on a symbol by symbol basis is the key, because there are situation where automatic updating is not desirable.

Thanks
#59942 by David A. Giesselman
Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:28 pm
AllRightyThen! I'm going to add this to the Symbol Tools sub-menu of the [Ctrl]+Right-click context menu. Good enough?

Dave
#59943 by joshhuggins
Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:07 pm
This works for me!