What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#60272 by jimgoodman
Fri May 17, 2013 12:11 pm
What if the display status of fills, hatching, line types, line weights, etc. could be saved as part of the GoToView?

For example, we are using solid fills in our drawings. We turn the fill display off when editing the file and turn it back on only for plotting. We could then set a working view and a plotting view for each sheet.

It's always a bummer when we batch plot 15 or 20 sheets and realize that we forgot to turn the fill display on.

The alternative would be to have the display status be independent of plotting - perhaps with an ini setting?
#60273 by Paul Nida
Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 pm
This has my vote. I don't know if it is a change in v.15 or it is a conflict with Windows 8, but hatches have really slowed down drawings. It can take minutes to open and close a drawing. And editing hatches takes a similar amount of time to get into and out of the edit polylines menu.
#60274 by Roger D
Fri May 17, 2013 2:15 pm
jimgoodman wrote:It's always a bummer when we batch plot 15 or 20 sheets and realize that we forgot to turn the fill display on.
The alternative would be to have the display status be independent of plotting - perhaps with an ini setting?

A while back I had a similar request, which then we got codes to turn on fills, bitmaps, etc. so my Alt-p Plot keyboard macro looks like:
P^:^1067#^1024#^1062#^1064#^1068#^1079#^1081#^1083#^;^:S5^S7^
\\ P- Plot - 1067-Pen Sort Off, ON => 1024# Smart walls 1062 SW Hatch 1064 SW Fill, 1068 WYSIWYG, 1079 Hatch, 1081 Fill, 1083 Bitmaps
#60275 by David A. Giesselman
Fri May 17, 2013 2:30 pm
jimgoodman wrote:What if the display status of fills, hatching, line types, line weights, etc. could be saved as part of the GoToView?

For example, we are using solid fills in our drawings. We turn the fill display off when editing the file and turn it back on only for plotting. We could then set a working view and a plotting view for each sheet.

It's always a bummer when we batch plot 15 or 20 sheets and realize that we forgot to turn the fill display on.

So which would be more desirable? Saving the display status with a GTV or an INI setting that forces everything On when plotting?

Dave
#60276 by Roger D
Fri May 17, 2013 2:44 pm
I'd vote for the GTV setting to save the ..... well maybe not, then while working in the drawing, if I want the fills off, then each time I hit the view, I'd have to turn them back off.
Probably the ini setting would be better.
#60277 by joshhuggins
Fri May 17, 2013 3:15 pm
Maybe just small indicators/toggles for the display items on the batch plot screen. Green on / Red off? Don't think I would want to have manage extra views just for working and printing either if I was in that situation.
BP.PNG
BP.PNG (25.98 KiB) Viewed 17134 times
Last edited by joshhuggins on Fri May 17, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#60279 by joshhuggins
Fri May 17, 2013 3:37 pm
Roger D wrote:indicators, or buttons that you can select to turn on?
If it was fairly simple to implement that would be ideal. Would save having to step back out of the batch plotting window, but would hate to ask Dave to code for a week for something that could be taken care of pretty quick on our end.
#60280 by David A. Giesselman
Fri May 17, 2013 3:42 pm
joshhuggins wrote:
Roger D wrote:indicators, or buttons that you can select to turn on?
If it was fairly simple to implement that would be ideal. Would save having to step back out of the batch plotting window, but would hate to ask Dave to code for a week for something that could be taken care of pretty quick on our end.

I appreciate that Josh! I doubt it would take me a week, but it certainly wouldn't be trivial.

Dave
#60281 by Paul Nida
Fri May 17, 2013 5:46 pm
joshhuggins wrote:Maybe just small indicators/toggles for the display items on the batch plot screen. Green on / Red off? Don't think I would want to have manage extra views just for working and printing either if I was in that situation.

Unless this could be made to work when batch plotting multiple files from outside of the drawings this wouldn't help us. The project I am currently working on has more than 80 AEC files many of which have several sheets in them. So when we batch plot we are usually plotting some or all of the AEC files. So whatever is done needs to work without having to open each drawing file first.
#60282 by jimgoodman
Fri May 17, 2013 6:37 pm
These are all interesting options.

Roger's Alt-P sequence would do the trick without any fuss at all - I plan on test driving it tomorrow morning.

We often have separate GoToViews for working and plotting anyway, so that option would work for us but not as well at the Alt-P sequence.

Josh's addition to the batch plot dialogue box is good too.

As always, an ini setting to keep things the way they are now would make everyone happy.
#60283 by David A. Giesselman
Fri May 17, 2013 6:58 pm
jimgoodman wrote:... As always, an ini setting to keep things the way they are now would make everyone happy.

Ahhh Mr. Goodman, always the voice of reason!

Dave
#60287 by joshhuggins
Mon May 20, 2013 11:50 am
Can I be your voice of insanity? I promise it will be fun! :twisted:
#60295 by David A. Giesselman
Tue May 21, 2013 10:33 am
So, I'm thinking an INI setting that would turn On all of the following when printing:

• Text
  • Hatch
  • Line types
  • Line Weight
  • Associative dimensions
  • Fills
  • Bitmaps
  • KnockOuts
  • Smart Wall Hatch
  • Smart Wall Fill

Did I miss anything?

Dave
#60296 by Roger D
Tue May 21, 2013 10:50 am
David A. Giesselman wrote:So, I'm thinking an INI setting that would turn On all of the following when printing

Would that be one ini setting, or group of ini similar to the Purge Settings?
Plot Text = True
Plot Hatch = false

to allow flexibility, and then if one needs a new one, it could be added.