What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#60779 by galenanderson
Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:58 pm
One thing that bothers me often is when I need to move an object to the current layer, I still have to work hard to find that layer in the list (which is one of the most frustrating elements of this program).

Making an option for Current between Match and Filter would save a ton of time when trying to find layers.

Obviously this applies to a number of others menus as well and it would be great to have in all of them.
#60780 by Roger D
Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:20 pm
I just do the group command to pull an item to the current layer,
Alt K

K^;^F8^
\\ K- Group Link

But not a bad wishlist item
#60782 by Roger D
Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:23 pm
F8 gets you to the Groups menu from the Edit Menu.
Groups can only exists on one layer, if you want to have items from different layers to be grouped, you have to use Selection Sets.
I use this as a trick to move items to current layer.
So to answer, no, there is not a way to not have that happen other than not grouping the items when not on the layer of the group.
#60783 by Mark Toce
Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:20 pm
You could use DataCAD's "implied match" to select the layer to move to.

Pick "Move" and then "To Layer." Rather than select a layer from the list, click on any entity in the drawing area that resides on the layer you wish to move to. DataCAD selects that layer as the "move to" layer. You may now select the entity to move.
#60785 by galenanderson
Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:31 pm
Mark, that's what I currently do, but it requires me to a) have entities that I know to be on the current layer, b) have enough space to click them without hitting anything else or zooming way in.

I guess i can always just draw a line and then erase it later.

While we are on this topic, would it ever be possible that that layers menu would pop out like the ctrl+L layers menu. While it is very difficult to use the one in toolbar due to size and character limitations, the lack of colors and numbers and the limited number of lines, the normal layers manager is very clear and easy to use, and makes finding them easy. If you could implement a popup box or even a dropdown that looked the same when you need to choose a layer, that would be great.