What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#61611 by bobarchitect
Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:34 am
I have used DataCAD for 26 years and will continue to do so for years to come, however, I would like to see a shift towards inference feedback in future releases. Dynamic snap provides feedback, but, in combination with the need to use the keyboard "N" or scroll wheel to invoke the snap, falls short of simply left mouse click and go. It would be a doppler shift for DataCAD to become an inference based CAD application and IMHO increase productivity exponentially. That's my only wish.
#61612 by Mark F. Madura
Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:52 am
Left-click for Object Snap? What key/button do you then press when you don't want to 'grab' the snap point DataCAD is finding?

Programs that provide inference snapping also provide a hot key to temporarily disable inference snapping when it's not what you want.

I'll leave it to Dave to chime in, but I don't see it being as much a problem programmatically as user-interface-wise.
#61613 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:11 am
Mark F. Madura wrote:Left-click for Object Snap? What key/button do you then press when you don't want to 'grab' the snap point DataCAD is finding?

Programs that provide inference snapping also provide a hot key to temporarily disable inference snapping when it's not what you want.

I'll leave it to Dave to chime in, but I don't see it being as much a problem programmatically as user-interface-wise.

Yep, not a problem from my end as I just prototyped it in ~5 minutes. But as Mark said, there needs to be a way to override it.

Dave
#61615 by bobarchitect
Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:57 am
Let's drill down to some of the more subtle characteristics of what I meant about the "left click and go"...

assume settings are for dynamic feedback for o-snap:
In the current version of DataCAD as the user hovers within the defined miss distance of any o-snap region of an entity (end point, mid point etc.) visual feedback occurs. My wish begins at the moment of visual feedback. Picture if you will, the small circle has appeared at the endpoint of a line, as I left click (in the current version of DataCAD) the o-snap feedback is discarded (disappears) and my new line start point occurs away from where the small circle was. It would be far better, if, instead, whenever the visual feedback occurs, left click grabs this point. In more cases than not, o-snap is desired and therefore should be the dominant function controlled by left click, but, only when the feedback is visible. In all other cases, left click performs as currently established. Of course, A hot key to temporarily disable should be added, although, I for one would probably not need it :wink:

My wish doesn't end there. inference for aligning to distant points with visual feedback in the form of guidelines (similar to SketchUp) would revolutionize the user experience inside of DataCAD.
#61617 by joshhuggins
Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:11 am
FWIW, Left click, Middle click, it's all the same to me, but hey if Dave can crank something out fairly easy and this is something people want, why not I guess?
#61620 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:11 pm
I think the key to what Bob is looking for may be the way that SketchUp works - I think that there are only 3 snap "points" (endpoint, midpoint, center) and the rest are inferred from other geometry (from, parallel to, at a point from, etc.).
#61626 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:07 pm
And do we envision this as an Application preference or on a per-drawing basis?

Dave
#61627 by joshhuggins
Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:44 pm
App. Pref. would be my suggestion.
#61628 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:07 pm
Thanks for chiming in Josh.

Dave
#61630 by jimgoodman
Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:26 pm
I chime in on Josh's chime in and Dave's thanks to Josh for chiming in.

I agree that this should be an application preference.
#61631 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:26 pm
App pref for me as well, Dave.
#61632 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:35 pm
Thanks guys. I've been playing with this and it's actually pretty cool. I suspect that I'll be throwing it into the 1st Subscription update to v16. The way that I've gotten it working, it really seems a pretty natural extension to Dynamic snapping. I think y'all will actually like it.

Dave
#61633 by wvar
Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:21 pm
Hooray. Thanks so much Dave. :D :D :D
#61634 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:48 pm
Well, don't thank me until you've had a chance to try it Walter. ;)

Dave
#61635 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:56 pm
Dave ... buddy ... if it's pretty cool to you we user's KNOW that we'll love it!!!

You are the best (programmer, friend, Dcadr, etc)!!!