What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#64276 by melina
Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:30 pm
I noticed that if all the Snap settings are turned off (None), the warning message, "No Object Snap settings currently in effect" shows up in the message panel. Unfortunately, it STAYS there, so no other messages can dominate, such as information provided by the Identify function, unless all the checkboxes under Dynamic Snapping in the Program Preferences are also turned off. That's a lot of steps every time one might switch from None to "Some" Snaps. Is there a way to prevent this conflict and still have the warning message???
#64277 by joshhuggins
Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:36 pm
I am guessing you are trying to snap for your identify instead of left clicking. Since you have no snaps turned on, there is nothing to snap to for identify. Left click will get you an identify with no snaps. Left clicking will still select for most commands with out the use of snapping if just selecting entities, as it uses the miss distance to pick entities near the crosshair center (aperture). If I may ask, why do you want no snaps at all? Think there might be something you are missing that may help you work a bit better.
#64278 by Mark Toce
Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:27 am
melina wrote:I noticed that if all the Snap settings are turned off (None), the warning message, "No Object Snap settings currently in effect" shows up in the message panel. Unfortunately, it STAYS there, so no other messages can dominate, such as information provided by the Identify function, unless all the checkboxes under Dynamic Snapping in the Program Preferences are also turned off. That's a lot of steps every time one might switch from None to "Some" Snaps. Is there a way to prevent this conflict and still have the warning message???

It looks like a bug -- I logged it.
#64279 by melina
Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:05 am
I forgot about left-clicking for Identify - thanks Josh! Actually, the I was using the Identify command from the toolbar. The Identify information flashes for a moment and then returns to the warning message and I can't read that fast ;).

Turning off all the snaps was a rare moment. I was trying to select some ellipses in a pile of ellipses (gravel in section) and even shifting to select without snaps was making it difficult (ellipses are weird entities) so I turned them off and didn't turn them back on immediately after - it was a total fluke I came across this bug. I've also turned snaps off when trying to select patterned linetypes that overlap solid lines while using Clipboard Select. Using the shift key is "Unselecting" rather than toggling off the snap (since I want the patterned line, not the solid line) for me - I must not have something set right. Anyway, you're right in that not having snaps set is an unusual thing.