What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#64718 by Mark Bell
Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:43 pm
....now that DataCAD 17 is creeping closer to being released, I'm wishing.....that it would include a Plot Manager that allows plot sheets to be quickly selected and repositioned similar to the way we can handle layers in the Layer Manager. Some of our projects have over 100 drawing sheets and attempting to insert additional sheets isn't worth the time to individually reposition sheet by sheet as per the current method. Then there's the sorting issue after doing a batch print :roll: ...now do I need to put a dollar under my pillow, ask Genie for a few more wishes or wait for DataCAD 18..... :shock:
#64720 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:50 am
Another plotting wish I have is to have MSP Sheets "remember" their paper size per sheet, so that another sheet can be plotted (for an SK, or a Quicklayout) and not have to change it back.

We also see the paper size get shifted when a file is plotted from a different workstation, that may have a different version of Windows and/or a different version of the plotter driver and/or a different list of paper sizes in the driver.
#64723 by Roger D
Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:15 am
Mark Bell wrote:....now that DataCAD 17 is creeping closer to being released, I'm wishing.....that it would include a Plot Manager that allows plot sheets to be quickly selected and repositioned similar to the way we can handle layers in the Layer Manager. Some of our projects have over 100 drawing sheets and attempting to insert additional sheets isn't worth the time to individually reposition sheet by sheet as per the current method. Then there's the sorting issue after doing a batch print :roll: ...now do I need to put a dollar under my pillow, ask Genie for a few more wishes or wait for DataCAD 18..... :shock:

Good Ideas, maybe also a GTV Manger that uses a dialog box.
#64724 by dmartens
Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:53 pm
I would like to see all the problems with smart entities and misc other items that have carried thru several releases fixed as well as the ability to do smart roofs and gable end walls so a model can be done with all smart entities.
#64725 by Mark Bell
Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:26 pm
Roger D wrote:
Good Ideas, maybe also a GTV Manger that uses a dialog box.

I think ultimately a combined multi-tab Manager that incorporated Layers / MSP / GTV / Symbols would be useful so it could remain open on a second screen allowing users to pick a tab for each function.

Dmartens wrote:
I would like to see all the problems with smart entities and misc other items that have carried thru several releases fixed as well as the ability to do smart roofs and gable end walls so a model can be done with all smart entities.

...also 'smart' stairs would be a good one to add.
#64753 by Mark Bell
Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:55 pm
..and some enhancements to smart entities:

1. fix the issue with doors/windows coming loose from walls, (this is a big obstacle in using the smart entities for construction documentation drawings),
2. improved cleanups, including fixing the issue where different wall types that a mirrored, copied, rotated etc. and their end points coincide causing a wall(s) to shoot off into space,
3. allow trim-to function where a wall can be trimmed up/down to a selected slab, polygon, covered polyline, 3D line,
3. fix the issue when 2-line trim of curved wall and straight wall which often results in the curved wall changed its radius,
4. fix the issue in offsetting a curved wall which results in it changing to a straight wall,
5. improve curved walls creation and support for inserting doors/windows,
6. expand on the smart entity palette allowing more commercial options for doors, window, curtain walling etc.
7. add double doors where one door leaf is a different size than the other, (hotels, medical/hospital, function rooms etc.).
8. add the option to display the door handles in 2D as per DataCAD Plus,
9. add double, triple, (user option) sliding glass doors (highrise apartment sliders, commercial autosliders etc.), louvres, corner sliders without the mullion,
10. add smart balustrading, handrails, fencing,
11. add the option to display a dashed line (or user defined line) for cutouts, door/window heads, sills,
12. allow the smart walls with doors/windows/cutouts in to display a plan view at a user defined wall height so the same walls can be used for a reflected ceiling plan. This means if the floor plan is changed the RCP automatically changes to.
13. add smart elevation and section tags/views which link to the plan and section or elevation generated. Placing a 4-directional internal elevation tag would automatically link and generate 4 internal elevations in a room/space,

...and improve the speed DataCAD handles information. We can load a 200mb+ file in our render package and it is able to be moved around the screen effortlessly yet DataCAD jumps and jerks around or crashes with only modest entity selections. Even Visual Reality (1990's vintage) could handle large amounts of data easily so improving how DataCAD holds data and allows the user to navigate through a model would be welcome.
#64763 by melina
Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:08 pm
include a Plot Manager that allows plot sheets to be quickly selected and repositioned similar to the way we can handle layers in the Layer Manager

YES!

3. fix the issue when 2-line trim of curved wall and straight wall which often results in the curved wall changed its radius,

AMEN!
#64799 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:48 am
Alt-I needs to work for "Ignores Clip Cubes" for text and arrows and symbols. We need to be able to have this toggled on before we create something.

It would be wonderful if a self reference that uses a GTV to set the layers it shows - would be automatically linked to that GTV. Kinda' like the way a file is automatically linked to an XRef.
#64821 by Mark Bell
Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:20 am
Currently, when in MSP and DataCAD is displaying the various MSP layouts on screen, if the mouse scroll wheel is moved before all the MSP layouts have finished displaying then DataCAD exits MSP once it has finished displaying the last MSP detail. Can this be fixed so it doesn't exit MSP. Thanks.
#64822 by David A. Giesselman
Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:11 am
Mark Bell wrote:Currently, when in MSP and DataCAD is displaying the various MSP layouts on screen, if the mouse scroll wheel is moved before all the MSP layouts have finished displaying then DataCAD exits MSP once it has finished displaying the last MSP detail. Can this be fixed so it doesn't exit MSP. Thanks.

Fixed.

Dave
#64829 by David A. Giesselman
Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:26 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:Can DataCAD Symbol Editor be associated with .DSF files so we can view them by double clicking on them?

How 'bout Drag-N-Drop onto the current drawing with the [Ctrl] key pressed? Would that work for ya?

Dave
#64830 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:00 pm
Well, I dunno if that makes it much easier than it is currently. This is not a critical thing, and I am guessing it might be tough to do.

Here's another different wish: when you use the MSP/Detail/Make Current it would be great to have the linked GTV be toggled active in the GTV menu and in the LM. This would make it much easier to change layers and then to Update the correct GTV.
#64831 by melina
Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:21 pm
Neil - re: symbol browser - were you asking for something like an external dsf-viewer so that symbols could be viewed outside of DC, say, from a file manager? cuz, that would be cool, but as you said probably tough to do - or at least a more work that can be done by the October deadline.
#64832 by David A. Giesselman
Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:25 pm
David A. Giesselman wrote:
Neil Blanchard wrote:Can DataCAD Symbol Editor be associated with .DSF files so we can view them by double clicking on them?

How 'bout Drag-N-Drop onto the current drawing with the [Ctrl] key pressed? Would that work for ya?

Dave

Never mind, I got them both working.

Keep in mind that DataCAD needs to be running with at least 1 drawing open. The Symbol Editor needs a host drawing to function.

Dave