What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#66474 by jimgoodman
Mon May 25, 2015 9:12 am
Could an option be added to automatically reload the active color palette when a drawing is opened? This could be similar to the Auto Reload feature for symbols.

Thanks
#66476 by joshhuggins
Mon May 25, 2015 12:59 pm
Hi Jim,

This wish could be taken a couple different ways depending on how our dcadwin.ini file is set. Right now we have 2 options for how the color palette works. We have the Store In Drawing= line that;

If =TRUE the color palette is stored in the drawing and any changes to it do not have to be saved out to an external palette file in order for the changes to be remembered for that one drawing file after the drawing is closed and reopened. This is where I would think your wish would make the most sense. If you wanted to allow changes to be made to the palette file while working in the file but not committed to the drawing file when closed. Maybe if you have =TRUE there could be 4 buttons;
O.K.: Closes the color palette file without committing the changes to the drawings color palette file. Changes lost after closing the file.
Save: A button that would commit the changes to the drawings color palette and would be retained after reopening the file.
Save As: Works as it does now to save/export the current settings to an external file.
Cancel: Ignores any changes made.

If =FALSE the color palette is only loaded from the external file and can not be temporarily changed during a drawing session. You have to update the external file to see any changes. The wish doesn't really apply to this option as far as I can tell. Was there something else you were wishing for that might effect this value?
#66478 by jimgoodman
Mon May 25, 2015 1:47 pm
Josh:
I forgot about the "Store in Drawing setting which I now have set to "TRUE. Setting it to "FALSE" accomplishes what I am after.

I do like your suggestion about having the option to store a specific palette in a drawing where the default is modified. I think it might work better if the options were available when the FALSE option is used instead - or maybe for both conditions.

I will try using the FALSE option for now. If I remember to save the palette to a different name when I need to modify it for any reason, it should work, but it would be nice to have the reminders and options.
#66480 by David A. Giesselman
Mon May 25, 2015 4:34 pm
jimgoodman wrote:... but it would be nice to have the reminders and options.

Jim:

I'm still hungry from granting your last wish. :mrgreen:

Dave
#66482 by joshhuggins
Mon May 25, 2015 6:46 pm
David A. Giesselman wrote:I'm still hungry from granting your last wish. :mrgreen:
Ohhhhh man, burn! :lol:
#66483 by jimgoodman
Mon May 25, 2015 9:33 pm
I know, I know....I thought I was going to be able to come east, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.

I spent the morning modeling using the newly aligned keyboard interrupts and was thinking about my unpaid debt with great chagrin, so it's good that I have been shamed to action. :oops:

Stay tuned....