What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#5259 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:42 am
Hello,

I have a couple of wishlist tools that could go hand-in-hand with a set of future parametric tools, that would make our permit process much easier:

If we had a special polyline/polygon that could be placed around a building footprint, that could generate the maximum, minimum, average, and mean grades -- and this was associated with a particular point on the building model; this would allow us to determine one of the most difficult criteria that we have to do!

Also, if a 3D parametric building model could be used to generate the surface areas of: walls, roof, floor, windows, "solid" doors, "glass" doors, etc., this would make the process of determining the energy compliance of a building much easier!
#5267 by joshhuggins
Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:51 am
Neato Ideas :!:
#5354 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:32 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:...if a 3D parametric building model could be used to generate the surface areas of: walls, roof, floor, windows, "solid" doors, "glass" doors, etc.

Good approach Neil.
I'd like this point would be placed on a single thread. There are some issues and other suggestions we should be able to contribute.

Thanks,
Miguel
#5418 by Leigh
Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:42 pm
Great Idea:

Maybe the "Z" heights could be attached to this grade calculation so that when the grades had to be altered the sections and elevation drawings would automaticallly have their coresponding grades and floor levels adjusted.

I don't know about everybody else but all of my projects have to relate to grade (natural and/or finished) and I spend hours adjusting grades or building shapes just to suit one bylaw regulation or another.

Possibly floor levels as an example could be locked to an average grade number so that when it changed they all get adjusted accordingly.

I can spend a minimum of 15 Hrs. and easily double that trying to satisfy some building department over grade and maximum height calculations.