What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#67711 by Mark Bell
Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:36 pm
We use GTV's extensively and end up with lengthy lists which could benefit from something similar to the Layer Manager to allow a more efficient way to sift through them and reorganize their order in the list. Maybe Tabs could be added to the LM allowing users to select Layers, GTV's Plot Sheets etc.? If picking the GTV tab, a user can then sort through GTV's in the same way we can with layers. Further development could see Plot Sheets added with another tab? This would then create a Drawing Manager which combines all three useful features in the one floating window?
#67741 by Mark Bell
Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:14 pm
Hi Neil,

I don't recall reading that one but they could be similar. The main wish is to start to develop a multi-use DataCAD Drawing Manager combining a number of frequently used features which can allow users to pick a tab to jump from Layers, GTV's and later MSP's and possibly xrefs and symbols as each of these accumulate growing lists of information that sooner or later need tidying up and reorganizing as a project moves from DA to DD and CD phases. Each tab could be detachable and re-dockable to allow them to be viewed simultaneously if needed. An example is a current project we're working on which has about 640 layers, 350 GTV's, 50 xrefs and about 170 MSP's. The LM has helped keep relevant layers in groups in the layer list to make them easier to find. We think this should be applied to the other items, especially MSP's. Despite plenty of preplanning of drawing sheets there's always need to add more than has been allowed for and the additional sheets are then all over the place in the MSP list. Doing a batch plot then takes someone time to sort them out. The current sequential re-ordering of MSP's is too time consuming hence the wish to mimic the LM. With the high number of layers, the GTV's are also essential and being able to reorganise these similar to the way we can with layers is part of the wishlist. I just think there's a lot of potential for DataCAD to introduce something that would boost productivity for offices and streamline a number of existing features into one central menu.
#67744 by joshhuggins
Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:02 pm
Mark Bell wrote:Each tab could be detachable and re-dockable to allow them to be viewed simultaneously if needed..
I think this would be a must. Without the breakaway tabs/windows you are kind of hitting another bottleneck. I would be happy with individual windows/managers if the tabs were to hard to get to work being undockable.

Mark Bell wrote:The current sequential re-ordering of MSP's is too time consuming hence the wish to mimic the LM. With the high number of layers, the GTV's are also essential and being able to reorganise these similar to the way we can with layers is part of the wishlist. I just think there's a lot of potential for DataCAD to introduce something that would boost productivity for offices and streamline a number of existing features into one central menu.
Yup.