What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#5492 by Sinha
Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:46 pm
O genie of D11...I wish D11 will enhance their wall style tools.

We should be able to add more sidings to our walls (not just 2,3 & 4 lines thingymajigga) As well as solid fill and hatch type options.
What we want to achieve is make our wall-types standard i.e. 1hour Walls/Conc.Tilt-ups/Metal/Wood etc. a typical so all our technicians are consistent with their dwgs
#5493 by joshhuggins
Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:57 pm
Great wish, I hope it comes true in a future release :D
#5496 by Steve Baldwin
Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:19 pm
I would also like to see the ability to do more with the wall styles. Even as the way they work now, I don't use them at all simply because of the 4-line limit.
#5497 by Dick Eades
Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:54 pm
I have used various different wall styles that I have created, but when it comes ot actual walls, I find that when the wall gets complicated, I want to have the ability to place different parts of the wall construction on different layers. For wood stud construction, I have an interior wall type that draws both the stud face and the gyp bd face, but I want to move the stud lines to their own layer. If I do that, the attributes of the wall prevent doing some cleanup operations since not all entities that comprised the original wall are present on the same layer. So then I have to go through converting the attributes so they can be treated as 2-line walls. Same thing applies with drawing brick veneered walls. One wall style can do it but I want the veneer on its own layer.

I have other wall styles that I use to draw counters with cabinets above, shelf & rod, etc.
#5506 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:07 am
Hello Sinha and Dick,

You're bringing very interesting ideas. Perhaps this could come true if we would have both processes of building the openings on the walls, and the presentation results (walls and openings) independently from each other.

Building (modeling):
We would create all the openings (windows, doors, cutouts, etc.), using an 'Opening Manager', like an improved AEC Modeler macro, where you could set "where goes" any part of the opening (stud, gyp bd face, ...) after it is placed in the model.

Presentation (plans):
On the other side, you would have an 'image' from a section that 'cuts' the walls where there are openings. The section would be created from an improved Clip-Cube or a smarter 'Section' feature, placed horizontally in the model.

In this case, the 'attributes' would be set in the 'presentation' process and not in the modeling process, and you could be allowed to decide what is going to be filled, hatched, blanked, etc.
... just for starting to think...

(If the case is to sink out on V12, let's go for it!!)

Thanks,
Miguel
#5556 by marko
Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:00 pm
This is a good wishlist item! Thx, Sinha!

When the Wall Style Manager first appeared it looked quite promising, but the usage is really limited to its composition. I have probably been attempting to outsmart the manager from the beginning but of course without much success. The dialogue should be very simple and basic (the instrinsic trait of DataCAD). If it was possible to define the linetype, weight, spacing and color of each and every line + the distances in between each and every line - that would probably do in most cases (even with 4 lines)... or am I wrong? More lines, hatch patterns etc. would certainly be a bonus.

To dream further, the wall should possess a baseline, the relative position of which could be set freely. And if the baseline could define walls from one-line sketches (somewhat similarily to the Frameit and Lin2wall macros), the 2d efficiency would improve considerably.