What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#70149 by Mark Bell
Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:03 pm
Using Identify to select a smart door or window doesn't display the opening width (length) of the window or door, only it's height and z-b/z-h values. Can the following be considered for inclusion:

1. opening width of the window or door,

2. sill height with smart windows,

3. When using Identify-Set All and selecting a smart wall, have the 'draw walls on/off' toggle (=) turn ON so smart walls are ready to be created. Currently, if you're in a 2D mode and I-Set All on a smart wall and continue drawing, you're still in a 2D mode drawing lines instead of smart walls.

Thanks.
#70276 by Roger D
Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:52 am
I would like to be able to use a symbol for door jambs. I see other programs can show a true hollow metal frame, not just a rectangle.
#70282 by Mark Bell
Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:21 pm
Hello Roger,

DataCAD can already do this. See screenshot below.

112316a.jpg

You can also add door handles and specify where the frame sits relative to the wall type it's inserted into. ie. with blockwork / CMU / precast / Ritek etc. the detail may have it flush, centred or a nominated offset.

If you also use DataCAD's scale dependent facility, you can preset, from memory, 3 different scales and door symbol types for the level of detail to be displayed at defined scales, ie. for general arrangement plans and site plans etc. you might have low detail and just show a rectangle, then at intermediate scales show an outline of a frame, then at plan details (1:20/1:10/1:5 etc.) show the actual manufacturers assembly. On the example inserted I've preset the door frame and door handles to display more/less detail depending on the scale. If you customise the smart wall types you can then add the relevant wall finish (plasterboard, cladding etc.) so that the frame shows correctly on plan.

There is a pdf tutorial from DataCAD on creating the above (few pages). It's not that hard to do and only requires you to tick the Use Symbol box in the Smart Door/Door tab. You'll need to play around with some test samples as the insertion point is important on how it's displayed. Current limitations are you can no longer dynamically change the door swing as you can with the generic parametric doors and the door swing direction seems to be dependent on the wall type inside/outside axis, ie. changing the Swing / Inside/Outside in the Door Properties doesn't work with door symbols. I mirror the wall along it's axis then the door flips to the direction I need it to be.
Hope this helps.