What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#5636 by Guest
Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:10 am
There are many o2c objects on Internet with real textures. I would like, if I insert them into the drawing and I use the Object Viewer, these o2c objects retain they original textures.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
#5641 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:33 am
Hello Frank,

I second you on this great idea. Indeed the informations are all available, possibly encrypted inside o2c format file.

I remember another wish item, that would allow the designer to send you (volunteerly) all the files connected with the 3D Model: Pack To Go
https://www.datacad.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=940

It is time to think about this, for the next major release V12.

Thanks,
Miguel
#5655 by Mark F. Madura
Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:16 pm
The default path for textures extracted from imported o2c objects is \datacad\textures\o2c_import\. Take a look there, you might have unknowingly extracted some textures already.

Note: By default, DataCAD does not merge duplicate bitmap textures when you create an o2c object that contains two or more materials that use the same bitmap texture. DataCAD cannot extract textures from this type of o2c file. However, you can add the MergeTextures=TRUE entry to the [o2cViewer] section of DCADWIN.INI in order to merge duplicate textures.

o2c objects with merged textures are typically smaller than o2c objects with un-merged textures.

MFM
#5657 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:46 pm
Great tip Mark,

I confess had never pay attention for this path indicator "o2c Imports". It is a great help, indeed.

Meanwhile, I keep believing that an "attached" .DMF file, whose name would be by default coincident with the 3D model name, could allow to keep tracked this textures and prevent a lot of rework when importing objects like in this case.
But we are on the road for that, I am sure.

Thanks, and Welcome again. You are not being so frequent at this side of the field!

Miguel
#5659 by Mark F. Madura
Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:24 pm
When you insert an o2c object, DataCAD converts it to a symbol with layers including embedded material definitions pointing to extracted textures (if any) in \datacad\textures\o2c_import\.

Prior to placing the o2c object/symbol, you can toggle on Explode and Original Layers. Afterward, you will find a new layer corresponding to each material contained in the o2c object.

If you go to the View pull-down menu and render by layer (embedded material definitions) versus by layer (external DMF file), then launch the Object Viewer, the DataCAD version should look similar to the original o2c file.

Note: We cannot query the scale of a given bitmap texture from an o2c object so you'll have to reset them manually.

MFM
#5671 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:23 pm
Mark F. Madura wrote:...If you go to the View pull-down menu and render by layer (embedded material definitions) versus by layer (external DMF file), then launch the Object Viewer, the DataCAD version should look similar to the original o2c file.

This is a huge improvement on o2c objects handling. Really Great!

Note: We cannot query the scale of a given bitmap texture from an o2c object so you'll have to reset them manually.

The original object was modeled with the slabs in horizontal position, but when inserted on the roof it was on a slope. The textures went skewed something.
I hope to be possible in the future, allow changes in the texture direction for o2c, like wished in the item:
http://www.datacad.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1530

Thanks,
Miguel