What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#72250 by Mark Bell
Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:54 pm
Each time the Render Settings / Sunshader / Filters setting is used to omit selected entity types in Sunshader (ie. cylinders which cause excessive shadow lines), then Sunshader is launched and exited, the settings reset themselves and have to be reset again prior to going back into Sunshader. This happens every time Sunshader is closed.

Wishlist 1 - have the Filter settings retain their selection on a per drawing basis.

Wishlist 2 - fix the issue with cylinders so the excessive shadows are no longer a problem.
#72255 by jimgoodman
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:01 am
This reminds me of a discussion regarding refinements to Sun Shader from back in October of 2013.

https://www.datacad.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13828&p=63929&hilit=sun+shader#p63929

Here is my list of suggestions from that post:
1. Increase or allow customization of the width of the saved views list.
2. Provide view manager similar to O2C Interactive.
3. Save lighting settings and north orientation with saved views – similar to Sketchup.
4. Save layer state with views.
5. Remember the last location that an image file is saved.
6. Remember last image size, file location, and file type.
7. Remember last Sun Shader Options – Location, Lighting, Ground Plane, etc. for both each time the Sun Shader is started in a single drawing session, and from session to session.
8. Remember last Shadow Study Results settings
9. Do not show entities in 2d3d symbols that are marked for 2d only.
(The 2d entities also show up when exported to Sketchup. I am setting the z-base and z-height at -1000 for now)
10. Save custom locations with the file. The default location list is not very left coast friendly.
11. There are two geodata.ini files – 1 in the \NX\ Support folder and 1 in the \Support folder which should probably be removed since it doesn’t seem to be updated when custom locations are added.

Some of these may have already been addressed, but I wind up using O2C since it is faster to load and has some of the functionality that is missing in Sun Shader.

Sun Shader has great potential, so it would be nice to see it get a final polish.
#72256 by Mark Bell
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:46 pm
Jim Goodman wrote ..."Sun Shader has great potential, so it would be nice to see it get a final polish."

I agree, it just needs that bit more input to bring it up to speed and it would be a more reliable and usable tool.