What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#74867 by jimgoodman
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:34 pm
An excellent addition to the tool box.
Thanks David
#74868 by dhs
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:51 pm
Check out my Cover macro at http://www.dhsoftware.com.au/cover.htm. This is a very simple macro, but I think it does what you want.

I have just noticed a possible bug in this macro. It works fine, but can crash when you press certain (unexpected) keys such as 'M' or 'C' whilst in the macro. It is still usable (but you need to be aware of the possibility of it crashing your drawing in these circumstances!). The macro was written in about an hour, and I don't have time to fully investigate the problem at this time (at a quick glance through the code it all looks ok to me: I will post a message to the DDN thread to see if anybody can point out my problem)
#74899 by joshhuggins
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:30 pm
A wish for a future version of the Symbol Layer Manager or maybe the "Goodman Symbol Manager", a way to toggle symbol layers on/off based the distance of the cursor when drug away from the symbols insertion point when inserted. Similar to how the dynamic rotate works. You would set each layers distance tolerances and if the cursor is within the them, it will toggle on the layer. If outside, then that layer would be off for that instance of the symbol (or per definition if that's how the drawing is setup). Would be another step for our symbols to mimic dynamic blocks.
Attachments
Symbol Layer Distances.png
Symbol Layer Distances.png (22.78 KiB) Viewed 11709 times
#74921 by joshhuggins
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:18 pm
I don't know who hold the source code rights for the Subtext macro, Cheap Tricks Ware says Datacad LLC and JB CAD Services. If DCLLC holds it, would be nice if it could be tweaked to allow a blank value for the value for "Enter text from" so it will change any text selected to the entered text in the second value for "Enter text to:" Right now it won't allow a blank value.
#74924 by dhs
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:04 pm
allow a blank value for the value for "Enter text from" so it will change any text selected to the entered text

I don't know anything about the subtext macro, but my TextReplace macro may be a suitable replacement in some circumstances:

TextReplace was released a few months ago and was basically written as an exercise to re-familiarize myself with DCAL for Delphi after spending many months working on the Space Planner macro using Classic DCAL.

One of the limitations of DCAL for Delphi is that is does not include the standard selection functionality (i.e. the is no equivalent for the Classic DCAL GetMode procedure that implements the entity/group/area/fence selection), and as a result of this a major limitation of the TextReplace macro is that it cannot select entities to process based on these criteria. It can process all entities on a single or multiple selected layers.

I have added the ability to specify a blank 'Search For' string in v1.1 of this macro, and in this case it will replace all text on the selected layer(s) with the 'Replace With' string, but will prompt to confirm every replacement. Not a particularly elegant solution if you only want to process a handful of text entities on a layer that includes a large amount of text, but it may the useful to you...
You can find the TextReplaceMacro at http://www.dhsoftware.com.au/treplace.htm.

I may look at allowing replacement on entities selected one by one in the future....

Rgds,
David H.
#74995 by joshhuggins
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:33 pm
Could the 2D Wall Styles be made to support longer names?

Also could it not reorder the Wall.STL file order so we could list the wall types in our preferred order in the Wall Styles Available drop down and not alphabetical?
#75006 by dhs
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:46 pm
I have just noticed a possible bug in this macro. It works fine, but can crash when you press certain (unexpected) keys such as 'M' or 'C' whilst in the macro. It is still usable (but you need to be aware of the possibility of it crashing your drawing in these circumstances!). The macro was written in about an hour, and I don't have time to fully investigate the problem at this time (at a quick glance through the code it all looks ok to me: I will post a message to the DDN thread to see if anybody can point out my problem)

Thanks to Dave G for fixing the bug that was causing the Cover macro to crash in some circumstances (as outlined in the quote above). The macro does not crash when run in DataCAD 20.02.03.05.
#75050 by joshhuggins
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:24 pm
I would have bet money this has been asked for before but couldn't find it on the forum. Could we get dimension text to show when repositioning the text instead of the boundary box?
#75051 by jimgoodman
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:53 pm
joshhuggins wrote:I would have bet money this has been asked for before but couldn't find it on the forum. Could we get dimension text to show when repositioning the text instead of the boundary box?

I think it has, and I vote for that as well.

On a related note, when using Text Scale, the bounding box goes away completely. There are other issues with using Text Scale in dimensions, but that's for another post.
#75085 by joshhuggins
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:18 pm
Wish: Filled polylines that show their fill on all faces when viewed in 3D drawing space. I was trying to get a filled polyline to show up in 3d views but was not able to.

The image below is cubes in ISO view.
Image 1: Original Polyline
Image 2: I turned the fill and the outline of the polyline disappeared.
Image 3: I turned on the SBF Outline and the outline came back.
Image 4: This was my desired result but I could not achieve this.

Solid color fills would be fine at this point. I would not expect bitmaps mapped to faces in iso unless a better 3D engine was added or something.
Attachments
Annotation.png
#75108 by joshhuggins
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:25 pm
It may not be possible, but it would help speed the symbol browser up if when changing folders the symbol browser could clear the symbol browser, then check the state of
Code: Select all[View]
Isometric=
before loading the symbols of the new folder into the browser.

The way it works now is if the view of the folder you are leaving is different than the view of the folder you are going to, it loads all the symbols in using the previous folders view setting first, then changes the view mode that is set for Isometric= and then reloads the symbols again. Just makes navigating folders with complex symbols a bit slow having to generate the display twice.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
#75113 by David A. Giesselman
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:16 am
joshhuggins wrote:It may not be possible, but it would help speed the symbol browser up if when changing folders the symbol browser could clear the symbol browser, then check the state of
Code: Select all[View]
Isometric=
before loading the symbols of the new folder into the browser.

Done.
#75212 by joshhuggins
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:31 pm
Would be nice if we could get Datacad's core file dialog boxes updated to be based off off Common Item Dialog (CID) so we can use the newer navigation features like Quick Access, breadcrumb navigation, navigation tree.

I'll even help re-create all the screenshots for the manual :wink:
#75213 by joshhuggins
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:29 pm
Could the ability be added to turn off both 2D & 3D view dependency in the symbol layer manager for layers now since the addition of Symbol Layer On/Off Control?

One use is I want to add a few reference layers to my symbols to help aid in construction when I need to make changes to a symbol in a drawing. The second use is I am creating a bunch of new 2D/3D smart symbols and I want to add layers now for scale dependence for future use in case the scale list F# position issue ever gets addressed. I would like those layers to remain off in both 2D & 3D until the scale list issue is fixed. I don't really want to keep a whole catalog of stuff along side the symbols and then have to come back and add it all in again later if it's not too hard to add in the wish above now and just turn their display off to keep it hidden.
#75246 by joshhuggins
Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:25 pm
When xclipping if a line or other entity is coplanar with the clip the entity still displays. I can see where this might be wanted some times, but I am also having instances where this is an issue. Would be nice if there was a toggle to exclude or include coplanar entities with the xclip.