What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#73619 by DBrennfoerder
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:19 am
We need some image tools to affect how DataCAD handles imported images. It seems that every image I import is rendered very darkly. I would like DataCAD to be able to process lighter by a chosen factor. My workaround now is to view the unsatisfactory result, delete the image, lighten it in a graphics program and re-import with a different name (if same name, keeps same image).
#73620 by joshhuggins
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:51 am
DBrennfoerder wrote:We need some image tools to affect how DataCAD handles imported images. It seems that every image I import is rendered very darkly. I would like DataCAD to be able to process lighter by a chosen factor. My workaround now is to view the unsatisfactory result, delete the image, lighten it in a graphics program and re-import with a different name (if same name, keeps same image).
Datacad does this to PNG files from what I have seen. JPG's usually come in fine for us here. Would like to get PNG's to work better as I usually prefer to use that lossless file type. Would really love alpha channel support in main Datacad and printed output.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#74874 by artmanvt2000
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:44 am
I would like to see the process Datacad uses to create pdf's revised. When we create 24x36 drawings with images the file can be well over 30 MB, which is a problem for emailing. We have found a trick to open the saved pdf file with Photoshop and resave it as a pdf to reduce the files down to 3 to 4 MB.
#74876 by joshhuggins
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:31 pm
artmanvt2000 wrote:I would like to see the process Datacad uses to create pdf's revised. When we create 24x36 drawings with images the file can be well over 30 MB, which is a problem for emailing. We have found a trick to open the saved pdf file with Photoshop and resave it as a pdf to reduce the files down to 3 to 4 MB.
Try using a PDF print driver that your can control the output resolution and image compression levels. PDF's XChange's print driver works awesome! It's another purchase but the control and flexibility it gives you is worth more than the price of admission.
#74877 by artmanvt2000
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:41 pm
Josh, This would work, but we use multi-sheet layout for everything. When changing printers, the sheet layout will shift, due to the printer driver having different printer margins.

It would be nice if the sheet sizes where actual sheet sizes and not the printable area. One could switch printers relative easily.
#74878 by joshhuggins
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:04 pm
artmanvt2000 wrote:Josh, This would work, but we use multi-sheet layout for everything. When changing printers, the sheet layout will shift, due to the printer driver having different printer margins.

It would be nice if the sheet sizes where actual sheet sizes and not the printable area. One could switch printers relative easily.
We setup our drawings to be centered based on absolute zero so even if the margins change the paper is still in the same location and the margins change around everything.
#74879 by artmanvt2000
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:32 pm
Josh,

Nice tip, but this may also cause constant moving of the drawing space to maintain center to absolute zero. We also use xref's a lot. Moving the drawing around is not a practical option for how we use Datacad.
#74880 by joshhuggins
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:58 pm
Hmmm, I don't use MSP so might be something in the relationship's with MSP I am not aware of.
#74881 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:12 pm
artmanvt2000 wrote:... It would be nice if the sheet sizes where actual sheet sizes and not the printable area. One could switch printers relative easily.

Arthur,

If Windows provided that information, that would be great! However, printer drivers (in Windows) only provide me with the "Printable Area" for any given index into their available paper sizes. I "suppose" I could "infer" the paper size given a printable area were I only dealing with USA (ANSI) paper sizes. However, most printer drivers support multiple size standards (ANSI, ISO, DIN, JIS, SIS, etc.).

Dave
#74885 by artmanvt2000
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:20 am
Dave,

I knew there had to be a reason this is the way it is. If something could change, using actual sheet sizes would be helpful.
#74887 by joshhuggins
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:26 am
artmanvt2000 wrote:.... If something could change, using actual sheet sizes would be helpful.
Another reason to output to a PDF print driver, it can give you borderless full size sheet output. :wink:
#74890 by David Porter
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:52 am
PDF Xchange is now the ONLY PDF program that I use. There is a free version and a $60 version. In my opinion, it blows Adobe Acrobat Professional out of the swamp. Very user friendly and will do everything possible with PDF and image files. It has an Optimization option that scrunches down large PDF files. I have taken 30 MB files containing lots of imported images (either PNGs or JPGs) down to around 1 MB.

Any time I have had a tech question or found a glitch to the program, their tech support people respond in less a half a day. I recommend this program to others as much as I do DataCAD.