What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#74597 by Mark Bell
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:51 am
Currently, a user can create various smart walls that view in 3D and can assign various linetypes to represent these same 3D walls in a 2D plan view.

Wishlist - allow smart walls to assign various linetypes and/or symbols when the Section Tool is used to create a sectional cut through the model. This would allow say, a 4-line smart wall representing CMU to then reference actual CMU sectional linework that draws the block work and mortar joints. Similarly, a stud wall would reference a user-defined linetype or symbol of a stud wall showing girts/noggings/insulation etc. as required for the particular smart wall type. This then allows the smart walls to be used in plan and sectional views where more detailed and accurate line work can be used to represent the actual wall types referenced.
#74600 by joshhuggins
Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:28 am
Makes sense to me. What I would add to this is that it should be something like a 'Section' tab where you build a completely independent style that gets assigned to the wall type. So for example, like a CMU section as you mentioned. It would most likely be represented by two lines in plan view but you would probably only need one CMU section linetype. The Section definition would just have to share the same control line/point so the user knows what they are building off of when creating the section definition.

This is just what rattled out of my head after reading Marks's post. Not knowing how other software might do it, there is probably a more eloquent solution. Just brain stormin'.
#74607 by Mark Bell
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:32 am
Hi Josh,
I can see this working too. In my mind when I wrote the post, I envisaged something along the lines of a straight substitution similar to how smart symbols work where a symbol-graphic is shown in plan but then references a different symbol-graphic for a 3D view. Smart walls already allow a 2D user-defined view of the wall type. Mixing these ideas could allow the section tool to 'substitute' the smart wall with a user-defined symbol-graphic (CMU section linework created by the user or some standard ones by DataCAD) which is drawn as the output section rather than the usual 2 or 4 lines and a hatch pattern (where selected). It pushes the smart entities that bit further with (hopefully) coding that is more or less already in place with other functions?
#74616 by dmartens
Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:38 pm
With smart entities pretty much having been left in the dust we have had no option in our office but to look at other software that will do exactly what you are looking for Mark. Chief Architect was one we have been looking at and it looks to fit the bill quite nicely. Right now we create models primarily for something to wow a client like a plan just can't do. But cutting sections gives you no more than the basic outlines and all the detail still needs to be added to the sections. At least the way we do it here. There are really no construction smarts in DataCad smart walls to know if it is concrete wood or whatever. And I have never had any luck with updating a section once I have created it. We will probably always have at least one seat of DataCad in our office for miscellaneous tasks but to get us closer to BIM and have the program know what type of wall it is cutting thru and displaying it correctly in the section in of paramount importance. And unfortunately I see no move in this direction by DataCad.
#74617 by Mark Bell
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:51 pm
I think those that have adopted using DataCAD's smart entities wouldn't argue with what you've said about lack of progress. Having something, even a little with each release would give users some confidence in the smart entity development.

BIM software appears to be in widespread use over here and I put it down to a monopoly by companies such as Autodesk who start with the universities where graduates have been trained using their software. I'd say it's likely that only the larger firms get full benefit from BIM with the rest just wanting to create a 3D model to use for presentations, and then develop and use for documentation. One of the major pluses that has emerged in recent years is the massive availability of free product 3D-2D BIM objects covering all types of buildings from exterior to interiors. This allows a firm to very quickly populate a design and then extract internal elevations or developed plans etc. - done! If DataCAD were able to create an add-on or translator that could import RVA format (revit families) it would have access to millions of these 'smart symbols'. That would make a huge difference on how quickly you could advance documentation using real world product components.

BIM has a lot of rules and requirements that would tie-down smaller firms. I see DataCAD having the ability to fill a niche, not true BIM, but using the bits firms need the most which is providing users the ability to design using smart entities, then use the 'model' for presentation through to documentation: plan drawings from the 'model' which can be achieved now, and detailed sections from the 'model' (wishlist), with the in-built ability of DataCAD's proven 2D documentation features for the remainder of documentation. From what I'm seeing with a number of the larger firms over here, there appears to be a shift back to 2D software when the DA progresses into documentation on large projects? I think DataCAD's popularity has been it's ability to keep things simple. Developing 'smart' sections could be the next step to giving users another option to keeping up with competitors.

https://www.architectmagazine.com/aia-a ... bim-data_o - according to this recent AIA survey 96% of large firms, 72% mid-size and 28% small firms now use BIM. There are numerous reports and articles available, both US and Australian about BIM adoption and usage. Interestingly, in some other surveys in both the US and Aust. only contractors appear to be making a ROI when using BIM. Engineers are losing and have gone from bad to worse using BIM and architects are around the break even point. Bigger firms seem to make BIM pay whereas the smaller the firm the more likely it will return a loss when using BIM. I'd anticipate this would improve over time? The way the market has shifted, the next five years (or less) may see CAD as the minority with BIM software being the mainstream? Nokia learnt the hard way by not changing to match market demand. Hopefully there will be some further movement in the smart entity tools to keep DataCAD up to speed.
#75856 by Lars
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:53 pm
From what I can see, DC appears to be some 15 years behind in this respect. If there's no evolution, then DC will likely go the way of the Dodo. BIM is required more and more even on small projects and is now an integral part of most Architects Design and construction process. Its just the way it is.

In a world where computer programs can design entire buildings by inputting a few parameters and simply print them out, (yes, its actually happening folks.) stagnation means youre obsolete and discarded. You dont see people using digitizers still, or using electric typewriters, or even home phones anymore. Now its Touch screens, speech recognition, and cell phones that can do more than most people.

This shouldnt even be a question anymore. Yes, we need smart objects: walls, windows, doors, beams, slabs, columns, roof planes, and auto-coordinating annotations and detail markers. We need self populating door and window schedules. We need sheets and viewports. We need the ability to work in a single file with multiple other users at the same time. And quickly before the world passes us by and we're all out of work because we dont know what it really means to use a 3D BIM program.

Unless, of course, there's still clients out there who appreciate the "old school" look of 2D CAD generated drawings.