What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#75625 by joshhuggins
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:22 pm
Last edited by joshhuggins on Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#75668 by joshhuggins
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:32 pm
Would it be possible to import an AEC file and bring the Xref GTVLink information with it?
#75700 by joshhuggins
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:48 pm
Lil' bump. Could Datacad pretty, pretty please stop creating folders that are missing from paths that no longer exist like Insert Bitmaps? Maybe just open up to Datacad's install dir or add a path to that users can set to a known good path to drop back to if the path does not exist. If the folder is missing, there is probably a reason for it. :wink:
#75702 by MtnArch
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:18 am
Love, love, LOVE this wish - add my voice to the vote!
#75705 by joshhuggins
Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:06 pm
I am creating a bunch of new symbols to use symbol layer control and I was wondering if anyone can think of a way to save the symbols where some of the layers are defaulted to off. Right now I am saving the symbol, open it in symbol editor, turn off the layers, close the symbol browser, then save the symbol again via the context menu. I don't think it's possible at this time to save it the first time with some layers off because I can't select entities from layers that are off right?

Guessing that this is not currently possible my wish would be 1 of 2 possible ideas to accomplish this.

1. In the Save Symbol menu, there could be a sticky Menu button added called Layer Control, that when toggled on, after you pick the insertion point, it would load the names of the layers that are going to be added to the symbol and allow us to toggle them on/off. Then in that symbol layer list there could be a S9 Continue button that save the layer states to the symbol and then launch the Edit Symbol Fields dialog like normal.

2. Instead of a Datacad menu based feature, add a layer control object to the Edit Fields dialog. This way the layer control could be easily edited at creation time or via the context menu when right clicking on a symbol in the Symbol Browser.
Attachments
Symbol Layer Control Fields.png
Symbol Layer Control Fields.png (33.42 KiB) Viewed 18351 times
#75722 by Mark Bell
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:22 am
HI Josh,
I was able to do this late last year with several symbols and from memory, used the Layer Control Manager but had to remember to resave the DSF to the harddrive so it replaces the open one in the active file. It took a few attempts to get it right but it works and allows one 'multi-symbol' to be reused a number of times with different layers on/off. I think I might have asked for a wishlist during the beta testing at the time to add GTV's for the LCM which would make it easier to recall the layer groups for each specific symbol. The other bit that had to be checked was using with the SLC / none/ per def / per ins as this affected the result in the saved DSF. This feature was still being beta tested and enhanced so it was trial and error when I got it to work. Maybe have a play around and see what you can create?
#75730 by joshhuggins
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:57 am
Hi Mark,

I can get my desired results as you mentioned by opening, adjusting and re-saving but I am revising about 2000 files right now and was just wishing for a speed up in the process for the next batch after this maybe. :wink:
#75739 by joshhuggins
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:41 pm

Remember how Templates used to be able to "pipe" in another symbol so you could have a custom display for the symbol in the Template window? (Templates still could I would guess)

What if with the new Symbol Layer Control, if layers could be tagged as display layers, and if the symbol contains any display layers, only those layers are displayed in the symbol browser? Those layers would be inserted set to off, and the other layers would use their saved on/off state the way it works now.
#75740 by joshhuggins
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:50 pm
An option so xref entities that lay co-incident with the xclip or cross the xclip boundary get clipped out at the clip vs being allowed to display withing the clip. In the example, the xclip boundary lies around the perimeter of the house and the dark grey xref still shows lines that lie along the clip boundary.
Attachments
1561654546516.png
#75776 by joshhuggins
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:37 pm
Thought I had this wish out there already but didn't see it when I did a quick search. Right now I am creating hundreds of new symbols and I have to erase most of the default fields that get created and then I have to create all of the new fields I want for my symbol each time a save a new symbol.

How about a drop down in the Fields dialog that can load in and save out Field Sets? When saving a Field Set, if a field has a value it should be saved to the set. If a Field Set is selected for an existing symbol a check prompt to overwrite the existing fields should be displayed.

Also would love to be able to re-order the fields. Forgetting to add one and having to erase them all and re-add them back in the right order is a stinker.

:mrgreen:
Attachments
Symbol Layer Control Fields.png
Symbol Layer Control Fields.png (17.29 KiB) Viewed 18189 times
#75795 by joshhuggins
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:10 pm
I have a DWG imported file that seems to have a bad hatch pattern. I have disabled the hatch display via the repair tool which let me get into the drawing, and I went into the Hatch menu and set a mask to replace all of the hatch of that bad type to a different known good pattern, but the purge option doesn't become available I would guess because the hatch is probably used in a symbol somewhere.

The wish: It would be nice if the Hatch Manager had a replace option for embedded hatch patterns so we could replace embedded patterns with ones from the hard drive.
#75879 by joshhuggins
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:30 am
#75913 by joshhuggins
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:58 pm
Would be nice if there was a fourth database linkage option where we could set a path to look at so at the top of the Edit Attributes dialog we would have a drop down list of all databases within that directory and then subsequent attributes would pull their data from the selected database. This would allow for much more powerful symbol attribute control. Right now we have to create multiple seemingly identical symbols to pull from different databases. This would allow us to group related databases simply in sub-folders in the main Databases folder.