What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#76900 by CSutter
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:16 pm
I would really appreciate a dynamic option in the Measures Menu for the Area/Perimeter. At least with the rectangle option selected, though if it could display the area for a polygon dynamically that would be even better. It would be useful when blocking out plans and aiming for a target size area. Seems like a simple thing, but I can't find that option in my 21 program.
#76901 by joshhuggins
Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:45 pm
Get's my vote. I could have used this a lot just two days ago. We have the dynamic perimeter readout already replacing the zbase in the Cords and Hints bar. Having Area in zheight spot makes sense to me.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#76902 by dhs
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:34 pm
For blocking out have you considered one of the available add-on macros?

Bill D'Amico produced a 'Blocker' macro back in 1989. I'm not sure if that is still available (or if so where you could purchase it).

More recently, I have produced a 'Space Planner' macro which builds on the same ideas as Bill's macro. 'Space Planner' is available free (although donations are of course appreciated!) from my website .

I am currently in the final stages of beta testing a new 'Spaces' macro that offers several enhancements over the 'Space Planner' macro. There is a thread on this forum related to this new macro.

In the event that the macros are not suitable for your use I would of course appreciate feedback on how they could be improved!

Best Regards,
David H.
#76903 by Mark F. Madura
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:44 pm
CSutter wrote:I would really appreciate a dynamic option in the Measures Menu for the Area/Perimeter.

Good suggestion. In the meantime, you can use Curves, Polyline, Edit. The perimeter and area are updated dynamically as you make changes to the polyline boundary.
#76904 by CSutter
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:51 pm
David- Looks like a nice planning tool and I;ll give it a try. However I am currently working within the footprint of an existing hospital and really need to be able to alot spaces based on square footage for a few of the departments that are being considered for relocation; all of which has to work within the existing structural system and partitions.
#77415 by artmanvt2000
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:44 pm
I'll second Mark M.'s suggestion. When I have a project that requires constant monitoring of areas, I create a layer named Areas. I outline all rooms and building perimeter with a polyline. The area and perimeter can be found by simply identifying the polyline.