What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#76953 by Mark Bell
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:58 pm
Allow ctrl-right click on smart arrows to toggle the ability to ignore knockouts, or at least allow smart arrows to 'sit over' knockouts using the Move Entities to Front option.
#76978 by Mark Bell
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:10 pm
"You can when using Compatibility Mode for knockouts." - okay, this works but switching to CM changes the display of all items if they were created after the KO entity was turned on. This means entities created after the KO entity was assigned ignore the KO. I understand KO's were designed for DWG and other export files so they display correctly in the recipients CAD system.

Text, polylines etc. can be set to ignore KO's and it would complete the 'set' to include smart arrows when in "normal" Knockout Display only.
#76988 by dhs
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:34 pm
Text, polylines etc. can be set to ignore KO's

Knockouts is something I have struggled to understand completely ... Just had a quick scan through both the Manual and What's New documents and can't see anything about entities that ignore knockouts ... How do you set these entities to ignore KO's? ... is it an entity or a drawing setting? ... can it be controlled by a macro?

Thanks
David H.
#76990 by Mark Bell
Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:50 pm
Hi David,

Generally, pick the View pull-down then Knockouts and tick Knockout Display - this is set when working in DataCAD so the KO's work correctly. When exporting to other formats also tick Compatibility Mode so the KO's appear at their end.

You can turn on a KO by ctrl-right mouse click over an entity and if Knockout is displayed in the pop up menu, then it can be toggled on/off.

To do multiple KO's in one go pick Change/More/Knockout/Yes/ - then further options to set a border and its size are available, right mouse click to return back to Change, then using EGAFM select the entities to add KO's to.

At times the Move entities front/back toolbar is needed to get the right order, or cut and repaste will also reinsert the entity over another so the KO displays correctly.

The wishlist is mainly for consistency and complete how KO's work as smart arrows are used with text and dimensions and both these allow KO's yet smart arrows have been missed off at this stage.
#76991 by dhs
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:59 pm
Thanks for your comments Mark. Sorry that my question is slightly Off-Topic from the original Wishlist request.
When I saw your comments about setting entities to 'ignore' knockouts I thought that must be a specific setting so that an entity would not be knocked out regardless of whether it was 'in front of' or 'behind' an entity with knockout enabled. Seems I misunderstood your comment somewhat ...
A shame, as I could have used such a setting (e.g. I don't think macros can create PText so I create individual lines of text entities for a 'paragraph' and if knockout is enabled then the descenders of the top line might be knocked out by the line below etc, so it would be an advantage if I could set the lines of text to both have knockout enabled but yet to 'ignore' (other) knockouts ...)

Regards,
David H.
#77212 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:10 am
Mark Bell wrote:… Text, polylines etc. can be set to ignore KO's and it would complete the 'set' to include smart arrows when in "normal" Knockout Display only.

Please show me where this is possible.

Regards,
Dave
#77220 by Mark Bell
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:44 am
Hi Dave,

Quick example showing a polyline with KO on over some text, with the top text also having KO on so it ignores the polyline KO. The smart arrow currently has no option to ignore the polyline KO which is what the wishlist request is for.

111219f.jpg