What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#28 by Martell
Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:24 am
Hello,
here is my wishlist:

1) Intersection snapping for slabs in ortho and viewmode.
2) Streching for cylinders.
3) Removing facets from primary divisions of cones and truncated cones.
4) Helplines.
5) Automated calculated Z-Heighs for adding vertexes with incline slabs.
6) Fix the wrong texture mapping for incline slabs after adding vertexes.
7) 3D editing only for 3D-Elements.
8 ) Curved slabs.
9) Smart objects. Walls, doors, windows.
10) A integrated high end renderer, or a 3DS, MAX exporter.
11) Stop moving all objects after grouping to the current layer.

These are my basic wishes.

Best regards Martell
#30 by Mark Bell
Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:29 pm
Ditto to Martell's list:

1. Advancement on the smart parametrics/ZAC used in DataCAD Plus, but now adopted in v11.
2. The ability to create a working 3D model of the project, render it in a current hi-output renderer (Lightworks etc.), then use the same smart model for construction documentation including all the necessary changes to the design,
3. Auto output of elevations, sections, reflected ceiling plans, door & window schedules, details, wall types, internal elevations, smart symbols (2D in plan, 3D in all other views), ....
4. Smarter 3D objects allowing creation in a 3D view, including grips so the objects can be edited in a 3D view,
5. Enhanced 3D modelling, including ability to create 'smart' shapes linked to the 3D/2D documentation model,
6. Sun-shadow simulator allowing accurate sun-studies from inputing location and time etc. shown graphically and as an animated sequence,
#31 by joshhuggins
Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:44 pm
:!: I wish I never saw Martell's avatar :!: :shock:
#34 by Martell
Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:03 am
Well, this is a form of german humor :D
Nothing is impossible. You can do everything, if you want.
Maybe don`t believe in photos.
Maybe the ostrich policy.
It is my avatar for a lot of years.

Regards Martell

P.S. Is this one to hard?
#35 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:12 am
Hello Martell:

Let me put it this way: a picture of an ostrich with it's head in the sand would not be disturbing. The problem is, the image makes it seem possible -- and *wanting* to do this -- just *because* it is possible, could be the most disturbing part of it all!

We too, have an expression about this, and to say it is *one* thing -- but seeing and image of it is a *very* different thing. :?

If you want my advice (not that you asked for it!), it would be that Josh and I are *not* likely be the most easily shocked people to use this Forum. And if you had this avatar uploaded when you posted your wishlist, I would not very likely have been able to read your wishlist at all; let alone think about it. The avatar is very distracting and shocking, and it makes it hard to read your posts, for me at least.
#36 by Martell
Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:01 am
Well..
Okay, I will to mitigate my avatar a little bit.
Hope that´s better.
The other one is a fake. It is impossible to do this. Hoping. :-)
It is from a german comedian star in Germany, called Stefan Raab.
The most people are laughing about this picture.
However.
It´s unique, and for me like a trademark.
Since 20 years I have been working with computers, and there´s are a lot of time, that I feel like my avatar.

Best regards Martell

P.S. The wishes are birthday wishes. Yesterday I had my 40th. :-)
#39 by Tony Blasio
Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:29 am
I don't see anything wrong with it. I have met many people, client and professional alike, that this picture reminds me of.

Honestly I smiled when I first saw it. It doesn't bother me.
#50 by Martell
Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:18 pm
Thank you Tony.

"Edvard Munch" The cry.
Are you also in computers? :D
#67 by Ben at TJB Architects
Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:59 pm
I think its hilarious...wish I could get some of my employees to remove theirs from that location.

:D
#73 by AV8R
Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:37 pm
It's an awesome avatar. It adds new meaning to "A picture is worth a thousand words" Looks like a few plan reviewers and clients I've known. :)
#78 by csmckillip
Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:05 am
Let me put it this way: a picture of an ostrich with it's head in the sand would not be disturbing. The problem is, the image makes it seem possible -- and *wanting* to do this -- just *because* it is possible, could be the most disturbing part of it all!

We too, have an expression about this, and to say it is *one* thing -- but seeing and image of it is a *very* different thing.

If you want my advice (not that you asked for it!), it would be that Josh and I are *not* likely be the most easily shocked people to use this Forum. And if you had this avatar uploaded when you posted your wishlist, I would not very likely have been able to read your wishlist at all; let alone think about it. The avatar is very distracting and shocking, and it makes it hard to read your posts, for me at least.

Who cares what your avatar looks like!!!!! I thought this was a forum for Datacad. Seems that most of us are creative people, and I belive this is a great form of art, and of expression. Way to go, I like it.
#83 by Martell
Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:21 am
Well...
Back to the basics.
Another wish.
Let the old layer routine stay at the last edited layer, as DataCAD+.
If I enter 10 new layers I must scroll and scroll if I got 50 before. So I must first disable the new layers, scroll scroll. Rename the new layers, scroll scroll. Then move objects to the layers, scroll scroll.
This nerved.
And I think it is possible ( DataCAD+)

Best regards.
#84 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:42 am
Hello Martell:

Have you tried the Layer Manager? It allows you to create the layers anywhere in the list that you want, and you can move them to anywhere in the list that you want.

My related wish is that when you create more than one layer in the LM, you are only prompted to name the first one. I would prefer to be able to just keep naming the subsequent layers -- but the work around is not too bad: down arrow, Enter, type name, Enter, down arrow, Enter, type name, Enter...

The other point of having the GTV's listed in the LM, would be that we can create some new layers -- and then add them to a GTV *right* there in the LM.

BTW, folks -- Martell's *current* avatar is much better than the first one was IMO -- since this guy is in clothes and has a tie, it makes a very different point than the first one did.
#87 by Martell
Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:05 am
Hello Neil,

I am working since version 4 with DataCAD/Spirit. The new LM is nice, but I do not often use this one. It is my workflow to use the old one. Hard to learn something new. :lol:
Also I miss an option to import/export layers in the LM. So the LM is not bad, looks like ACAD, but I prefer the old way. It is faster for me.
BTW, if I import new layers with the old method, stop the question for overwriting, put the imported layer direct to the drawing, like DataCAD+.

BTW, folks -- Martell's *current* avatar is much better than the first one was IMO -- since this guy is in clothes and has a tie, it makes a very different point than the first one did.

Well, yes, the new avatar is more serious. I know. :wink:
Should I show the old one once again? :lol: