What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#78466 by Roger D
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:49 pm
Wish went inserting a symbol. when Symbol Layer Control is set to per Instance, that would allow when inserting the symbol, a layer dialog would pop up and allow one to set the layers on/off during the placing of the symbol.

Wish if the Symbol has layers turned off, that when inserting, that would be the inserting condition.

When Batch Plotting, add switch so the drawing screen does not refresh, but a preview of the pdf is shown while it's being written. Always a quick final check on the print layout.

When using Layer Star On/Off, there is a switch for LyrRfsh. When off, the screen refreshes and updates. When on, the screen goes through the flashing effect as if refreshing, but the layers being switched stay in there previous state. Would be nice to not have to watch the screen pulse as if refreshing.
#78467 by joshhuggins
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:55 am
Hi Roger!
Roger D wrote:Wish went inserting a symbol. when Symbol Layer Control is set to per Instance, that would allow when inserting the symbol, a layer dialog would pop up and allow one to set the layers on/off during the placing of the symbol.
In the latest release of Datacad 21, you should have this option while inserting a symbol at position F0 Open SLM.

Wish if the Symbol has layers turned off, that when inserting, that would be the inserting condition.
Symbols should remember which layers are off when they are saved and that should be their default setting when inserted unexploded.

When using Layer Star On/Off, there is a switch for LyrRfsh. When off, the screen refreshes and updates. When on, the screen goes through the flashing effect as if refreshing, but the layers being switched stay in there previous state. Would be nice to not have to watch the screen pulse as if refreshing.
Not sure I follow you on this one, are you talking about the S9 Refresh option in the Layer menu? If you are, when Refresh is turned on it should just update the display with which ever layer on/off state you toggle in realtime (as quick as your PC can draw it that is). It should not be doing anything else to the rest to the display. If you are toggling on a layer that is loaded with complex entities and xrefs, I have seen where it could be an issue with Datacad refreshing the screen over and over and get in a loop of sorts. Usually I can hold END to interrupt the screen redraw and then hit U to REGEN. At that point, we start looking at how we can simplify the drawing or what is being displayed on screen.
#78469 by Roger D
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:33 am
joshhuggins wrote:
In the latest release of Datacad 21, you should have this option while inserting a symbol at position F0 Open SLM.
Had not seen that sneak into that position.

[/quote]Symbols should remember which layers are off when they are saved and that should be their default setting when inserted unexploded.[/quote]
I don't find this happening all the time, maybe I need to see when it does or doesn't.

[/quote]Not sure I follow you on this one, are you talking about the S9 Refresh option in the Layer menu? [/quote]
Within the LayerStar Macro, you can indicate which layer you want on/off by common names, i.e. all layers that start with ID01, and in that macro menu there is a layer refresh at F0. Even when off, after selecting the layer group i.e. ID01*, the screen redraws and leave the current display condition the same, but the new layer condition is not updated until I refresh.
When it is on, I do get the same screen redraw and refresh at the same time.
#78470 by joshhuggins
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:24 pm
Roger D wrote:Within the LayerStar Macro, you can indicate which layer you want on/off by common names, i.e. all layers that start with ID01, and in that macro menu there is a layer refresh at F0. Even when off, after selecting the layer group i.e. ID01*, the screen redraws and leave the current display condition the same, but the new layer condition is not updated until I refresh.
When it is on, I do get the same screen redraw and refresh at the same time.

Ahh, I had never heard of that macro. Learned my something new for the day! :D
#78477 by Roger D
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:50 pm
Part of Command Performance Macro, Layer Tools also. I have it as a stand alone macro, don't' recall how I got it.
Reminds me of how often we went to Evan Shu to get macros.
#78478 by dhs
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:02 pm
Part of Command Performance Macro, Layer Tools also. I have it as a stand alone macro, don't' recall how I got it.
Reminds me of how often we went to Evan Shu to get macros.

It was written by John Fornaro and available from Evan's Cheap Tricks listings. I have not heard of it before either, but John last posted to this forum back in 2017 and I doubt that he is still "listening". He is listed as a DCAL Developer on DataCAD Add-On Products page so I tried to contact him but the email address listed no longer exists :( .

If the product is not still available then it would be a relatively easy matter for me to add similar functionality to my existing Layer Manager macro.
#79173 by Roger D
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:53 pm
When Batch Plotting, add switch so the drawing screen does not refresh, but a preview of the pdf is shown while it's being written. Always a quick final check on the print layout.