What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#79387 by The Canuck
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:53 am
I know this has been brought up before https://www.datacad.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16738&p=78635&hilit=collate#p78635. But I want to bring it to the surface again today. I had to print a few sets with many pages, and it stinks that if I need (4) sets, it will print each page 4 times, before moving on to the next page when doing batch printing.

I understand that you can print to PDF and that would allow you to then merge the PDF into one. But I have never found the PDF's to carry the line weights like I would want them to. (I am using version 20 of DataCAD and using Adobe for the PDF's and merging). Maybe its a setting I am not doing correctly. Either way, I would prefer not to have to add in the extra couple steps if I don't have to. I saw version 22 allows for the PDF, but not having tested it out, I don't know if the line weights are carrying through as accurately as when I print. If someone can show me, that would be great.

I think.... no, I know, I would buy the next version of DataCAD that has this feature, just for the feature. Guarantee it will pay for itself within a month or two of not having to rearrange all the sheets.
#79403 by Dave
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:35 pm
The Canuck wrote: But I have never found the PDF's to carry the line weights like I would want them to.

What DPI settings have you got set for your PDF printer?

DaveR
#79408 by The Canuck
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:33 am
The same settings that I use to print. I will batch print a set to my HP Printer (DesignJet T520), then also batch print a set to the "print to file". I would think the settings would be the same no?
#79412 by Dave
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:31 pm
A sample of PDFing from DataCad
Left most was with Microsoft PDF set as printer but doing a SaveAs from the Plot Menu, the rest are all plots
Line weights 1 to 10
When I look at them on my screen the rightmost 2 appear the best. I don't have a high dpi printer with me to check them once printed.
These were viewed in PDF-Xchange and I took a screen shot
I think there is a setting in Datacad to change the SaveAs DPI
DataCad 18, default pen table
DaveR
DC-pdf.png
#79413 by The Canuck
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:40 pm
Thanks Dave... I might need to look into that some more.

What stands out the most for me, is if I create a PDF set, and then go to print it, everything appears to be the same line weight. So it might be more the settings within Adobe that I am using and have not adjusted it. But I would think the line weights would transfer to the PDF, and then to the print of the PDF.

But as I said in my original post, if a collate feature was added to the next version, I would jump on it. Saves me a few steps with converting and combining PDF sets, and then printing. Which of course, saves time/money. :)
#79415 by Dave
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:17 am
The Canuck wrote:But as I said in my original post, if a collate feature was added to the next version, I would jump on it. Saves me a few steps with converting and combining PDF sets, and then printing. Which of course, saves time/money. :)

PDFCreator allows you to Merge PDF's as you print them or you can do it after they are all saved as pdf's. After doing the first print to PDF click merge and it will keep adding pdf's until you tell it to save. You can reorder the pages before saving if required.
DaveR