What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#6228 by bpeoples
Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:49 pm
Am a new Data Cad user slowly converting from Auto Cad....
What's the timeline on incorporating grips?
#6231 by joshhuggins
Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:31 pm
Sorry if my post on layer locations was a bit simple, if your new to Datacad :oops:. As for grips, the Datacad team is working on some major new features as we speak, but not even the beta testing team knows if it will include a grip-like system or not at this point. Autocads grips are pretty handy for some, and if I had to guess (and it's a big guess) I would guess some type of system to adjust entities directly should be in the works. I doubt it will be called grips, or that it will even look like grips, but a more direct edit mode is highly needed to compete with Autocad and other CAD programs.
Just my
#6232 by Heinrich
Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:13 pm
The 'snap-tracking' in ACAD is also a very usefull tool. DCAD has the 'shift'+N method, but ACAD's is much more visible and easier, IMHO. Maybe when adding grips or nodes DCAD could look into tracking as well.

-Redd
#6233 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:18 pm
Hello Peoples,

Could you please elaborate some more about the essentiality of 'grips'.
What for are you wishing it to be included ?

There are wonderful 'grips' features in Corel Draw that means the essential solution for illustrating softwares like Corel or Illustrator, where you need to vary dimensions of objects with high frequency.

I am not so sure that in precision engines like a CAD software this would be essential. Or would it come first before other precision tools.
In 'grips' are you wishing to handle objects randomly, wider or shorter ?

Have you tried the [Enlarge] command, with 'Calibrate' feature ?

My doubt is about the urgency of this feature, along with others that already are available to be explored.

Thanks,
Miguel
#6237 by joshhuggins
Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:23 pm
I think it's more of the ability to use less keystrokes and more mouse input for some users. I think with the smarter entities to come, like the boolean objects, and dynamic wall systems we are hoping for, being able to just click and use the mouse to drag certain points around, (with the grid system probably) and a little more organic / dynamic editing should be possible. I would think it would be optional to aid our object snap system. It's definitely a one up for Autocad. How much would I use it? I don't think I would us it much at all right now for our current 2D and basic 3D editing, but with a plus/revit parametric type system, probably quite a bit during 3D adjustments and tweaks.
#6248 by Bob Urbanek
Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:16 pm
Grips----Parametrics ? You could ask the powers that be---but they won't
answer. I think that they are based in Area 51. Super secret skunk works.
Just can't understand why they can't post some sort of timeline for these features.I would think that the power users are getting at least a little impatient. Maybe some response from the front office would be appropriate.Maybe someone could set up a poll regarding this subject.
Maybe I'm dreaming.

Bob Urbanek
#6249 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:47 am
Bob -

Mark, Dave, et al are VERY reluctant to pull a "Bill Gates" and announce a VaporWare date. Though they may not release updates as regularly as MS - they are ALWAYS solid and ALWAYS worth the price of admission!!

From my experience (since V5, and beta since V9) the crew at DC LLC will be working hard to fullfill their promises to the end users, and probably up the ante as well!

Keep the faith and give the DC LLC crew time to perfect their magic. I think that we ALL will be happy with what they come up with!
#6253 by Miguel Palaoro
Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:02 am
Very well reminded, Alan.

Nothing to add for this subject.

Thanks Mark, Dave and team. You got ALL our trust and belief.
Miguel