What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#6811 by WizArtist
Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:54 am
I went into an office that was running Acad 2004. But then they had to save it as a 2000 file so they could open it in 2002 to save it as an R14 file so they could open it in R14 to print because the printer couldn't read anything higher. And yes, the printer did come over on the Mayflower.

My hardest switch TO Acad was having to do a command to start drawing then having to back out of the command to move to the next command. I actually rewrote the PGP file to mimic most of my Dcad shortcuts. I was VERY glad to switch jobs after those four months of pergatory to a v11 office. It was like switching from a tank to a Ferarri.
#6828 by boofredlay
Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:54 pm
Wow, my wish list post has turned into much more :shock:

Let me start out by saying, I like DataCAD, now that I know how to use it efficiently (enough for work).
I have received so much help at work and here on this forum that I cannot complain one bit about the support DataCAD has. You guys are top notch.

Having said that... :roll:

In response to Josh, I have been using DataCAD 6-8 hours a day for the last 4 months and I still would rather "Want" to use AutoCAD.

Mtn. Arch... I do not think the program is bad. I have given it my all and I am learning more every day. I can use it efficiently enough to do my job to the best of my ability. Plus, I have no choice in the matter, it is the office standard. If I want to play on AutoCAD, I have to go home.

Neil, I think you have helped me the most of anyone here... Thanks.
I have to disagree with a couple of points however.

First is the price. Sure if you buy the full blown version of AutoCAD you will pay $5000+. However AutoCAD LT 2006 is $729 at Amazon.com with $330 upgrades. LT does everything the full version does except for 3D. This is cheaper than DataCAD.
Now I know DataCAD has 3D capabilities but they are not at all intuitive. And nobody here knows how to use them or wants to. I will stick to SketchUP for that.

Second, I don’t know where you got your information about the vectors changing or maybe I don’t understand what you mean by that, however, I have never once scaled a drawing or detail to accommodate the scale of a sheet in AutoCAD. I have always drawn 1:1 in AutoCAD. Then by using view ports, changed the scale it is being viewed, without changing the actual size of the detail at all. The only thing that changes is the text size for dimensions or notes. The units are still 1:1
Many times I would have a detail sheet with up to 5 different scales showing but each detail was drawn 1:1.
So far in DataCAD, I have had to scale up or down a detail if I am to have more than one scale on the same sheet. Now I know DataCAD has the Multi Layout, but this office has had DataCAD since v5 (I think) and nobody knows how to use it (I don’t know what version the Multi Layout started in). I have tried it but I got frustrated enough to stop.
We usually set our sheets up to have all ½” details on one sheet, all 1” details on another etc… If we need more than one scale on a sheet, it is minimal but it does have to be scaled.
Now maybe I will finally figure it out with your help, (I have a couple of threads already bookmarked on the subject) and will put it to good use.

Wiz Artist… I have the same gripe you do about DataCAD. I do not like having to right click many times to back out of a command.
Also, quite a few of the cleanup activities I would do with the grips in AutoCAD. All you have to do is click an object (Text, line, polyline, dimension, etc…) and the grips would appear. You can manipulate them with no commands at all. It is much more efficient than having to use multiple cleanup commands.
For example: dimensions can be stretched, values changed or text repositioned by using the grips alone. In DataCAD if I need to reposition the text of an Associative dimension I have to: Dimension / Linear / Change / Textpostn then select the entity to move.
Or re-write the code to create a shortcut.

Dick E., don’t even get me started on the Trim /Extend vs. 1Ln Trim. :cry:

Again let me say, I do not hate DataCAD!
I appreciate all the support I have received and welcome more.

However, I have to defend what I like, which is difficult on your turf. :wink:
#6829 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:55 pm
Hi Eric,

boofredlay wrote:Neil, I think you have helped me the most of anyone here... Thanks.
I have to disagree with a couple of points however.

First is the price. Sure if you buy the full blown version of AutoCAD you will pay $5000+. However AutoCAD LT 2006 is $729 at Amazon.com with $330 upgrades. LT does everything the full version does except for 3D. This is cheaper than DataCAD.
Now I know DataCAD has 3D capabilities but they are not at all intuitive. And nobody here knows how to use them or wants to. I will stick to SketchUP for that.

Second, I don’t know where you got your information about the vectors changing or maybe I don’t understand what you mean by that, however, I have never once scaled a drawing or detail to accommodate the scale of a sheet in AutoCAD. I have always drawn 1:1 in AutoCAD. Then by using view ports, changed the scale it is being viewed, without changing the actual size of the detail at all. The only thing that changes is the text size for dimensions or notes. The units are still 1:1
Many times I would have a detail sheet with up to 5 different scales showing but each detail was drawn 1:1.
So far in DataCAD, I have had to scale up or down a detail if I am to have more than one scale on the same sheet. Now I know DataCAD has the Multi Layout, but this office has had DataCAD since v5 (I think) and nobody knows how to use it (I don’t know what version the Multi Layout started in). I have tried it but I got frustrated enough to stop.

You are entirely welcome!

Ah, but there is DataCAD LT for $200! :P So, you can buy that and SketchUp for less than AutoCAD LT! :twisted:

Paper Space is different than the units used for the vectors. If you change to metric, or decimal feet, or feet and inches, then the size of the vectors will change...

I hope you can persevere with MSP -- it came in with v7.5 (last DOS version of DataCAD), and I have been amazed to work in offices where they don't use it, either! :? A little later, I'll post some links to some good instructions on using it -- Mike Smith, who has written a book on DataCAD has some on his web page.
#6831 by boofredlay
Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:20 pm
Ah, but there is DataCAD LT for $200! So, you can buy that and SketchUp for less than AutoCAD LT!

HE SOOTS, HE SCORES!

Paper Space is different than the units used for the vectors. If you change to metric, or decimal feet, or feet and inches, then the size of the vectors will change...

Gotcha.
#6860 by boofredlay
Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:17 am
Thanks Neil.

BTW, what is the difference in LT and the full version of DataCAD?
I cannot tell from the description on the home page.