What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#7912 by curtschultz
Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:34 pm
Being able to assign a different color or line type for a layer that would be recongized with the Go To feature.

As you click on a differnt Go To View it would change the color of a highlighted layer or have a line type for the whole layer, as the GO To View currently works to change the active layer, on layers etc., to the perimiters the selected veiw has.
#7919 by Philip Hart
Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:36 pm
GoToView takes you to a set of layers with one of them active. Whatever is the active color for the active layer in the GoToView is, by definition the active color. If I remeber correctly, v12 will have linetypes assignable by layer. If this is the case, then GoToViews would trigger layers on, active layer, and the line properties of the active layer.
#7945 by curtschultz
Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:54 pm
The key for me is to be able to utilized the Go To View and be able to assign a different color for the same layer for different GTV's.
#7952 by Miguel Palaoro
Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:33 pm
Hello Curt,

I am not so sure that I could understand your wish. Your suggestion is to set a 'variable' color for a same layer, according to each GTV set, from which this layer is turned on ?

Considering that DataCAD respects a color choosen by the designer, and allows a specified color independently from the layer color, what you are asking is that we could change the property "color" from an entity, since you are viewing it from a different GTV. Perhaps we should have available an improved and really powerful GTV manager to handle it.

Or you think that the entity color should be tied to the layer color, as the 'bylayer' from AutoCAD ?

Thanks,
Miguel
#7955 by curtschultz
Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:38 pm
Miguel, I use a single layer for multiple GTV's, but some GTV'S have a layer as a prominate compontant, for other GTV that same layer is a background only and I want to have it print with a pen that is lighter than when that layer is a prominate compontant.

I would like to have the floor plan print as drawn for the floor plan GTV, and again print the floor plan layer on the roof plan, but as a light, or dashed background. Many of my jobs are complicated and I want the contractors to understand the relationships of multiple levels and complicated roofs, particularly to show bearing points. I can only do that with the floor plan on more than a single layer and copying that layer casues so much labor and potential errors. I love the GTV's and have a standard view just for changes that have all the project layers on so I can see and change everything simultainiously. But if I cannot get the floor plan to print as a thinn background I am just adding to the confusion.

The GTV's are awesome, I wish it was expanded for very custom controls.
#7956 by Miguel Palaoro
Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:10 pm
Hi Curt,

There is an easier (and sharper) way to do that: You can use the same file as a 'Self-referenced' file.
a) Create a new layer and insert the A-Ref there;
b) On the X-Ref Manager turn ON only the layer you want to replicate in the new GTV;
c) Highlight it and change its properpties in the XRef-Manager: dash lines, change color, etc., for printing it lighter;
d) Include this layer in the GTV, when you create it;
e) You can also X-Clip to only a portion of the content on the source layer, if needed.

Repeat the above steps to any other new GTV.

The good news: You will no more need to copy the layer content to any other layer and will remain updated with the content of the original layer every time.

Hope this helps,
Miguel
#7957 by curtschultz
Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:26 pm
Miguel, Will I still be able to alter the self-Xref'd file like any other file? I have been playing with the concept, but I have been limited to what files I am working in to get all the layers changed, so I still have to think and my draftsman can't do that.

I will play with it so more, I appreciate your response.

curt
#7958 by Miguel Palaoro
Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:03 pm
curtschultz wrote:Miguel, Will I still be able to alter the self-Xref'd file like any other file?

Absolutely. The X-Ref (self-refd) is this same file. If you change anything in that specific layer, it will update in the moment you refresh it.
I have been playing with the concept, but I have been limited to what files I am working in to get all the layers changed, so I still have to think and my draftsman can't do that.
I will play with it so more, I appreciate your response.

Sure, do that. You will find it great.

Thanks,
Miguel