What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#8141 by ATGardner
Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:46 am
I see most of my wishes have been previously mentioned and possible additions to the upcoming version 12 (Appending Text to Dimensions; and something akin to grips).

Another I am fond of (took ACAD forever to add this feature too) is the construction line or X-Line.

Like "snapping" an infinite chulk line. With filters for vertical, horizontal, direct or "match"ed angle, offset from and parallel to an entity, perp to an entity through a point, etc.

This is very useful to the way I work. This line could then be "trimmed" and used as a line if need be.

Anyway. Thanks guys.
#8157 by MtnArch
Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:30 pm
I had one of my cadd guys show me the Construction Lines ("XLines") that Acad has. Basically it appears to be a line that Acad will create with infinite end points, set at whatever angle you want.

To be honest, after watching him toy with it a few minutes I don't see much (if any) advantage to simply drawing a line, drawing a line and off-setting it, or just off-setting an existing line. This is something that you could always create in your base file and simply move them/copy them when you need them.

Now if we could get Construction Lines like SketchUp has ... THAT would be killer!
#8170 by curtschultz
Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:57 pm
For construction lines I draw a line using a pen color that my pen table has as white, so it doesn't print.
#8171 by Sinha
Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:47 pm
I myseld Liked the idea of X-Lines, I call it Guides.
So I created a line that is about 1000' in length and saved it as a symbol. Then I associated it with a toolbar icon. So whenever I click that icon, my guide gets attached to my cursor. As well as the "Explode to Original layers activated
Once I place my guide. It creates a Layer called "Guide lines" and explodes itself into it.
So Once I am done., I select another icon which erases that specific "Guidelines" Layer only.
Pretty neat, and serves the purpose, Untill D11 creates that Sketchup kinda Guides.

The drawback is....you have to be sure you don't have any entities hangin' out in the "Guidelines" Layer.
#8176 by joshhuggins
Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:34 pm
Sinha wrote:The drawback is....you have to be sure you don't have any entities hangin' out in the "Guidelines" Layer.

Maybe you could have your toolbar code lock that guidlines layer?
#8178 by Sinha
Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:49 pm
I tried that Josh, But the dumb thingy remains locked...I can can no longer draw guides in that :x . Would you have any solution.
Thanks
#8179 by joshhuggins
Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:00 pm
Post your code and I'll see what you have going on.
#8209 by ATGardner
Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:52 am
That's a name I've seen everywhere!

I've lurked here off and on for a long while before registering.

That cool character in the left window is really familiar.

What an honor! (Seriously)
#8210 by joshhuggins
Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:19 pm
Thanks AT, Just trying to help others :D

Sinha, I was working on your code but found a glitch in the program that won't let me code it the way I wanted so I have to find a work around. I'll keep ya posted.
#12554 by ATGardner
Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:14 am
MtnArch wrote:I had one of my cadd guys show me the Construction Lines ("XLines") that Acad has. Basically it appears to be a line that Acad will create with infinite end points, set at whatever angle you want.

To be honest, after watching him toy with it a few minutes I don't see much (if any) advantage to simply drawing a line, drawing a line and off-setting it, or just off-setting an existing line. This is something that you could always create in your base file and simply move them/copy them when you need them.

Now if we could get Construction Lines like SketchUp has ... THAT would be killer!

I tried that in SketchUp. That's a pretty cool feature too. Either one would be a welcome addition for me.