What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#8252 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:00 am
Hello Arthur,

Slabs and Polygons are the representation of two cathegories of 3D objects: the solids and the surfaces.

Despite DataCAD slabs are not actually truly 'solid' objects (not yet, btw), they behave as it.
OTOS, polygons represent the surfaces, or in the case, the 'faces'.

The 'Mesh' has the ability to allow edition of this surface, using its control points. So, you can virtually build any kind of curved surface (virtually of course), precisely where you can't with polygons and slabs. But, it lacks several abilities to make it really powerful as we should desire for a free form modeler, as boolean operations, surface intersection, curve control, etc.

I can understand that the 3D modeler used by DataCAD must be improved a lot, to be able to meet this requirements.

My guess, if some minor improvement would be allowed today by Dave's team on meshes, one could be to increase the number of control points, or its density, or the ability to identify curved limits to put the meshes, and something into this direction.

Just putting the mind on work!

Thanks,
Miguel
#8259 by Arthur Emmanuel
Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:04 am
With mesh in extrude, it would be easy shape chairs, sofas, and to create symbols of 3D curves.
#8271 by Paul Nida
Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:03 am
I like the idea of extruding a mesh. But I would like to take it a step further and be able to extrude anything I can draw. I believe ACAD has something along these lines. ACIS modeling or something?
#8284 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:30 am
Paul,

ACIS modeling would be a great step ahead. ACIS is considered a 'true solid' modeler and embedds surfaces as well.

But, it would require obviously the replacement of our present modeling engine, with the consequences of new interface development, new learnign routines and many things more.

This is actually not just a simple choice.

Thanks,
Miguel
#8291 by Arthur Emmanuel
Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:59 am
They exist softwares that they do not use technology ACIS, but are highly powerful, until only based in polygons. Therefore, I believe that the DataCAD has a great same potential without the ACIS.
#8297 by joshhuggins
Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:40 pm
For a while there was ACIS.dll file (name might have been a bit different) that was coming with the updates, but then it disapeared. I wonder if it was being looked at for future modeling applications. Who knows?
#8302 by Paul Nida
Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:04 pm
Miguel Palaoro wrote:Paul,

ACIS modeling would be a great step ahead. ACIS is considered a 'true solid' modeler and embedds surfaces as well.

But, it would require obviously the replacement of our present modeling engine, with the consequences of new interface development, new learnign routines and many things more.

This is actually not just a simple choice.

Thanks,
Miguel

I realize that Miguel, and I didn't mean to imply that I wanted ACIS modeling. I was just using it as an example of extruding. I don't know if Datacad can do something like that within the DCAD program itself. But if they can't they probably can't extrude meshes either. And if we are going to ask for something, might as well ask for everything.
#8304 by Paul Nida
Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:07 pm
joshhuggins wrote:For a while there was ACIS.dll file (name might have been a bit different) that was coming with the updates, but then it disapeared. I wonder if it was being looked at for future modeling applications. Who knows?

I remember you mentioning this before, Josh. And I thought then and still do that this file was probably more for importing and exporting to ACAd rather than for internal use by DCAD. I could be wrong and I hope that I am.
#8306 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:07 pm
Paul Nida wrote:...And if we are going to ask for something, might as well ask for everything.

Absolutely agreed.

Thanks,
Miguel
#8308 by Arthur Emmanuel
Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:21 pm
In the IntelliCAD a command exists that can be had access way keyboard typing 3Dconvert, that it transforms solids ACIS of archives dwg into forms of surfaces/polygons that can be read in the DataCAD. Or either, any object 3D in dwg can be read in the DataCAD with this resource.