What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#8390 by Arthur Emmanuel
Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:30 am
In relative polar, the distance is relative, but angle is not. From anyone line drawn, relative angle will to be criated.

Is it possible real relative polar with relative angle?
#8430 by Miguel Palaoro
Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:46 pm
Excuse me Arthur,

What actually is a 'real' relative ?
Arthur Emmanuel wrote:In relative polar, the distance is relative, but angle is not.

Isn't it from the last point located ?

Please clarify it.

Thanks,
Miguel
#8437 by Arthur Emmanuel
Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:37 pm
The angle in the DataCAD is fixed according to adopted configuration, has a determined origin and a direction, that can be value zero in the horizontal line and counter-clockwise direction as positive.

Let us say that I finished to trace a line in 45 degrees and needed one another line making 90 degrees with this first one, I have that to type 135 degrees (45 + 90)que for me, is not a relative angle, but fixed, it would like to type 90 that it is the relative angle that the first line makes with second.
#8439 by Miguel Palaoro
Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:57 pm
OK, I got your point.

You are talking about a relative angle "to the last line" drawn.
Indeed the relative angle and distance are defined "from the last point", where the cursor was clicked on, and it regards always for the drawing area.

The angle is always relative to a defined angle type, said 'Normal', where zero value is set to the horizontal-at-right, and counts positive on c-clockwise direction.
You can swap it to the opposite increasing direction, as long as you can choose among other angle types on the 'Settings/Angle Type' menu at Util (2D).

What you are asking for is a land survey angle, which would be "related to the previous leg". This could make easier the drawing of a land survey poligonal.

There is a wish item suggested for this angle type. Perhaps we can move Dave and Crew to think about it for the future.

Thanks,
Miguel
#8462 by Paul Nida
Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:21 am
I must admit that I don't use relative polar very much except when drawing a site plan from the legal description. But the way it works now is the way I want it to work. Be careful what you ask for. If you draw a line in one area of a drawing, and then go to another area of a drawing and draw a line it is likely to come out at a totally unexpected angle. If you want to draw a line at an angle relative to another line, then use tangents to rotate your cursor to the angle of the line you are drawing relative to.
#8481 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:22 pm
Paul Nida wrote:...If you want to draw a line at an angle relative to another line, then use tangents to rotate your cursor to the angle of the line you are drawing relative to.

Hello Paul,
I must disagree with you, because the type of angle Arthur needs is another angle type, that increases clockwisely, and takes into account the direction of the last lag, and it must be set to its 'opposite' bearing.
It is the typical use on a land survey poligonal drawing, when you use a theodolite to right-walk over the border of the measured land.

You can't use 'tangent' because it would bear to the direction where to was drawn the last line. And this is not the case.

I am sure this kind of angle type would help for those who works on the area.

Thanks,
Miguel
#8490 by Paul Nida
Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:01 pm
Miguel Palaoro wrote:I must disagree with you, because the type of angle Arthur needs is another angle type, that increases clockwisely, and takes into account the direction of the last lag, and it must be set to its 'opposite' bearing.
It is the typical use on a land survey poligonal drawing, when you use a theodolite to right-walk over the border of the measured land.

You can't use 'tangent' because it would bear to the direction where to was drawn the last line. And this is not the case.

I am sure this kind of angle type would help for those who works on the area.

Thanks,
Miguel

Hello Miguel,
I still may not be understanding what you are asking for. But if you just want to have the angles in relative polar go to the right instead of the left, then just go into Settings/Angle Type and click on clockwise. This will make the angle go to the right. So 10 degrees will go down instead of up.
But if you want the angle to be relative to another line, then you need to set your cursor tangent to the line you want to draw relative to.
#8511 by Arthur Emmanuel
Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:00 am
I tried tangents, but unhappyly bug for a line more vertical had one than it was with a shunting line of 90 degrees.